Sign in to follow this  
Cindylu

Cheap "Raketa"s on ebay?

I stumbled across 24 hour analog watches, and I would love to buy one!

I've been on a Casio binge, so I can't really spend much money, which is why these cheap russian 24hr watches on Ebay caught my attention.

I am toggling between Raketa's actual website, and the ebay listing:

Russian Watch System 24 Hours 1 | eBay

Pilot N033 - RAKETA SHOP - Official Internet-Shop

They both claim to have Raketa 2609H movements (Although the only indication on the ebay watch is the stamp 2609HA on the movement)

The ebay watch is VERY clearly not a "genuine" Raketa... right? The price difference is phenomenal, and I see some of the cheap ebay ones labeled as "souvenir", which makes me even MORE weary...

It is labeled as having a "plastic" crystal as far as I can tell, but having a plastic crystal on ANYTHING that costs more than $5 would just be absurd...

Does anyone know anything about these cheap russian 24H watches? Would they even be worth the money as a "novelty" watch? (aka: Not a heirloom quality piece, just something to have and wear occasionally)

Thanks!

The Raketa 24 hour movement is 2623. Some 2609s, a Raketa 12 hour movement, have been re-made and re-geared after leaving the factory to run as a 24 hour movements. That may be what's in these but I would definitely ask. If they are running as true 24 hour watches then as a novelty it might be worth it. It's a stretch to call these Raketas but they do have Raketa movements.

Historically virtually all soviet/Russian watches had plastic crystals, from the cheapest to the most elegant and expensive. They are tough, will not shatter, and scratches can be easily buffed out.

This seller also has what appears to be an authentic 24 hour vintage Raketa for sale:

20150330144553_k1djfycboqj.jpg

20150330144554_rvnatdzbqcw.jpg

There are a lot of Raketa 24hr watches on ebay that seem to good to be true. And although the movement in the pics is a 2623.H, as the saying goes, 'If it seems too good to be true, it probably is', so I'm very wary of them.

Rare Soviet Russian Mechanical Watch Raketa 24 Hours Cali 2623 H Made IN Ussr 3 | eBay

Rare Soviet Russian Mechanical Watch Raketa 24 Hours Cali 2623 H Made IN Russia | eBay

Rare Soviet Russian Mechanical Watch Raketa 24 Hours Cali 2623 H Made IN Ussr 3 | eBay

I'm more wary because they look too new to be genuine but very much open to correction on that from anyone with more than a few months of 'Raketa spotting' experience

20150330144555_dm0gan5xjja.gif

fyi I find the new Raketas to be priced unrealistically and uncompetitively high.

Also traditional Russian watches had synthetic crystals.

I received the one in the thread "Interpreting my Raketa 24h dial" for $61. it works well, is in a good condition and I think it is fully original with the correct movement.

The watch on the official site is not a 24 hour watch. It has only 12 hours on the dial, hence the use of a stock 2609.HA movement. It is a new product from the new Raketa company which has been styled in homage to the old 'Pilot' 24 hour watch (once decried by the old Raketa as 'fake' until they decided to make their own). New Raketa watches are very expensive and in no way reflect the market value of genuine vintage Raketas. To see what a genuine 24 hour new Raketa should look like, see the 'related products' further down the page.

The eBay watch uses a 'Strelka' conversion kit to transform a 2609.HA into effectively a 2623 (24 hour). So not original but still a genuine 24 hour function.

The dial is a reproduction of a Soviet-era 24 hour Raketa but in modern vivid colour. Such dials were actually produced by Raketa about a decade ago, complete with 'sdelano v SSSR' inscription, although they later disowned them. Genuine Soviet-era Raketa 24 hour watches with this dial pattern were always installed in a larger sized case with rotating bezel.

The case on that eBay watch is not any kind of Russian or Belorussian case that I've seen before. The bezel looks like it was designed for a flat or near-flat mineral crystal, but has been fitted with domed acrylic (plastic) to make it seem more 'vintage'.

The 'Plastic' crystal is not a good match here, but there is nothing inherently 'absurd' about such material in a quality watch e.g. Vostok Amphibia, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Junghans Max Bill, etc, etc, etc....

I am intrigued by such a kit, Chascomm, which I have never heard of before. What is contained in the kit and can they be bought? I was under the impression that in order to change the 2609 to a 2623 it was necessary to do some machining.

On 3/30/2015 at 6:12 PM, Fei683 said:

The Raketa 24 hour movement is 2623. Some 2609s, a Raketa 12 hour movement, have been re-made and re-geared after leaving the factory to run as a 24 hour movements. That may be what's in these but I would definitely ask. If they are running as true 24 hour watches then as a novelty it might be worth it. It's a stretch to call these Raketas but they do have Raketa movements.

Historically virtually all soviet/Russian watches had plastic crystals, from the cheapest to the most elegant and expensive. They are tough, will not shatter, and scratches can be easily buffed out.

This seller also has what appears to be an authentic 24 hour vintage Raketa for sale:

20150330144553_k1djfycboqj.jpg

20150330144554_rvnatdzbqcw.jpg

nice sharing!!