Sign in to follow this  
linger

Core all black-Flickering backlight in compass mode

Core all black- i suppose that like every new user of the negative display , I use a lot the backlight.

The watch is recently bought -10 days-and when in compass mode the light is flickering.

I've changed two batteries according to the suggestion given by the official site, but nothing changed.

I'd like to know if this is way it has to be or not. Your wathches are acting the same way?

Thanks !

Welcome to the forum. Yep, totally normal. The compass AND the light is a power drain, so it "pulses". Solar Protreks (casio) simply lock the compass when you turn the light on as a means of dealing with the drain.

Hello again , I'm back to this subject with an answer that came delayed from the official Suunto site .Could be a missunderstanding...?

Dear Sir,

If the backlight is still flashing after two battery changes, there could be a battery contact problem in the watch. We would recommend to send the watch to our Service Center for examination. You can do the Service Request online, here´s a direct link:

Repair - Service Request | Suunto

After filling out the form, you will receive all the information needed.

With best regards,

Suunto Helpdesk

I think there is a misunderstanding. I wouldnt send it in. I have never heard of a Core that does NOT flash slightly when the light is activated in the compass mode. This has come up here before and it seems to be in all Cores...

I have had my new all black core for about the same length of time (2 weeks or so) When I first got the watch the light did not flicker when I was in compass mode, it was only a couple days ago it started. So hopefully this is all normal. My question would be why did it not do it right out of the box if it is normal? Not doubting, just curious on the timing of it starting to flicker

The Core or most all other Suuntos with a compass before 2016 have that flicker when  in compass mode and the light activated.  It is "normal" in that sense. Due as mentiond here already to save battery life. In reality it was a tech problem for Suunto, and this was their solution. A bit annoying agreed but it doesn, t effect the very exact and reliable operation of this outstanding watch. The new Suuntos, 2016+ don, t have this issue but have for the most part only rechargeable batteries that seem to have a shorter lifespan somehow after the warranty stops. Not to mention te uselessness of em in a longer grid-down or survival situation without power.