Sign in to follow this  
TjHGHgds

Problem on my alligator strap of Cartier santos 100

I have a Cartier santos 100, and I have worn it for about three years. Recently, I have found that its strap is peeling off bit by bit, I wonder that does your strap peel off too? Is your strap durable?

I got this watch, too. I preserve this watch well, when I wash my hands, I would pull it up to prevent it from getting wet. Hence, it looks still new after I have worn it for a whole year. I consider that strap can be preserved well so long as it is not moist. 

Longevity of a strap is related to many factors. If you want your strap has long longevity, you had better to wear different watches by turns. 

I have several crocodile straps, one of them has been used for 8 years, but its quality is also good.

Cartier strap is thick and its production process is not easy, so it is a bit pricey.

Generally speaking, the longevity of a leather strap is about one year, no matter it has been often used or rarely used.

Reasons are as follow. 

Firstly, because it is genuine leather product, it still has capillary bores which could absorb air. If the watch is in damp place, the strap is easily affected with damp. Hence, the leather toughness will gradually fade away, and leather will become brittled.

Secondly, in order to produce environmentally friendly alligator strap or genuine leather product, international brands use aqueous dyeing process to dye leather strap. Thus it is normal that if strap's color is gradually fading away. 

Thirdly, the glue that used to affix leather is also environmentally friendly, if wacth is always in damp place, the glue will lose glueyness easily, hence leather will come off easily.