cmmaster

Screw down crown?

Glad to have found this forum!

This is going to seem like a stupid question, but...

About 2y ago I dropped my Fortis B42 Alarm-Chrono, and the alarm hand came off. Ten months ago I finally took it to Tourneau in NYC for repair. They, in turn, shipped it to PWH in Rhode Island. Finally got it back about 2w ago (delayed due to the closure of PWH). Paid Tourneau a fortune (I should have known better than to go through them).

Does/should this model have a screw-down crown (it does NOT at present)? It's been so long since I've worn it that I don't remember! The instruction card indicates it does/should have a screw-down crown? Might PWH have changed the crown?

In addition, the alarm still does not work (triggers instantly no matter what the time), but that's a matter for a different post.

Thanks.

As for the crown:

Your watch originally did have a screw down crown, thus it's still mentioned in the manual.

And yes, PWH did change the crown to a new system.

This change is mandatory (and free of charge) for any Fortis B-42 watch that is sent in for service and still has the screw-down crown. It's also done for any B-42 that's sent in with stripped crown threads - and should be free of charge regardless of watch age and warranty expiration. Any authorized Fortis service centre everywhere does this. Reason is that Fortis did have quality problems with the screw-down crown on the B-42 series.

Since 2006 the new crown system is available and since then the change during service is mandatory.

The change does not affect the WR of 20 bar (200 m).

Its one of those issues that has had some controversy with fans of other brands making assertions about how a screw down crown is required for 200m WR. There was a good article several years ago that looked at a few 200m divers, the B42 among them, and the authors actually stated they were surprised that the Fortis with the only push-pull crown was just as water tight as the other divers.

Thanks so much for thoroughly answering my question. I still have to get the alarm working properly, but at least I can stop worrying about the crown.

Thanks again!

Right.

Back in October 2006 the German watches magazine "Uhrenmagazin" did a test on divers watches, including the B-42 Marinemaster (a slightly abbreviated English translated version of the this test was published in "WatchTime", in late 2007: PDF file download link).

The test was done according to the ISO 6425 diver watch standards, these require for the water resistance test the watch submerged in water at 125% of the rated pressure, duration 60 minutes - 25 bar (250 m) in case of the Fortis. The watch must continue running without noticeable rate change, not water intrusion is allowed.

This test has been hotly discussed here on WUS in 2006 (Divers watch forum), because initially a Breitling SO Steelfish XL (imploded crystal) and a Doxa Sub 750T Pro (stopped running) failed during the pressure tests (additional tested samples held). Nobody whined about the Mido that also failed (completely - 2 samples failed, stopped running even before reaching the rated depth)....

The Fortis Marinemaster went through the test without any issues, and yes, the testers first were curious about the push pull crown as well. In fact, finally the only thing criticized on the Fortis was the missing divers extension on the rubber strap clasp (the tested watch had a rubber band). Though there has been no specific rating, the Fortis clearly won the "below EUR 1000.-" category. And (just my opinion) had they bought the Fortis on the bracelet with divers extension (above EUR 1000.-), she would have blasted away (nearly) all the more expensive watches, because the Fortis Marinemaster and the Sinn U2 were the only 2 watches in the test matching all criteria of the ISO 6425 standard (including the readability, bezel markings and other criteria) without any failure during the tests. Considering all watches in the test and the results, the Fortis was clearly no. 1 together with the Sinn U2.

As for the necessity of a screw down crown for high water resistance:

Nowadays there is no such necessity. A proper constructed modern gasket system is self-sealant with increasing pressure.

Screw down crowns and such crooked devices as on Panerai watches (or even the monstrous "canteen" crowns) were a necessity back in the early to mid 20th century, when such gasket systems could not be built in such a small scale as on a watch crown w/o breaking the bank.

Nowadays it's just that a screw down crown is cheaper to build than a good gasket system.

Thanks for the link and reference, I just could NOT recall where it was.

On the issue of screw down crowns and other more elaborate Kluges - it has been suggested that they have one functional benefit over the push-pull crown in that they serve as a reminder to the person NOT to engage the crown while submerged. Not sure I'm going to be resetting my B42 at 50m but a screw in might stop me if I had a Senior Moment while diving

20150422183428_pgu3y0oqfy5.gif

On 4/22/2015 at 0:49 PM, Charlie said:

As for the crown:

Your watch originally did have a screw down crown, thus it's still mentioned in the manual.

And yes, PWH did change the crown to a new system.

This change is mandatory (and free of charge) for any Fortis B-42 watch that is sent in for service and still has the screw-down crown. It's also done for any B-42 that's sent in with stripped crown threads - and should be free of charge regardless of watch age and warranty expiration. Any authorized Fortis service centre everywhere does this. Reason is that Fortis did have quality problems with the screw-down crown on the B-42 series.

Since 2006 the new crown system is available and since then the change during service is mandatory.

The change does not affect the WR of 20 bar (200 m).

Sorry to have to revive such an old thread. My B-42 GMT Chrono has been dormant for the past few years because of the same crown issue and I'd love to get her back on my wrist.

@Charlie Thanks for this info. I had no idea there was a "recall". I've been quoted anywhere between $500-800 (CAD since I'm in Canada) to simply get the crown replaced.

Forgive my ignorance as I'm not familiar with PWH... But it seems that as of May 2016, Watchbuys has become the distributor in North America and RGM to become the service center.

Question: Is there a source I can reference when speaking with RGM regarding the mandatory crown replacement?