Sign in to follow this  
KaHIjsa

Greetings from a Soon to be Fortis Owner

It's been ages since I've posted here, but now that I have a Fortis incoming and I've come across this forum, I'll be tuning in more often.

20150422201620_nw3t4va3eic.gif

Anyway, I bought a used Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono with the tachy bezel and Lemania 5100 movement (double

) last Friday from a seller on the TZ sales corner.

The reference number is 602.22.11 L.

I was googling to understand better how to decode this.

The closest reference I could find is a 606.22.11 L which by appearance and description very similar if not the same as the one I bought.

I'd be appreciative if anyone here can help me with decoding the what the reference 602.22.11 L means and what difference if any it bears to the 606.22.11 L.

Thanks !

I'll be sure to post pics when the watch arrives !

aha, I see from my post count that this is my first post....I remember signing up a long time ago and I guess never actually posted till now !

Thanks,

Juan

ps-I post under wisintraining over on the TZ.

Welcome to the forum, glad to hear of your recent purchase, please post pics when it arrives!

While I am a mod on the Fortis forum I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert, just a guy with some extra time on his hands and a passion for Fortis watches!

20150422201620_qtnk20qwmqu.gif

So if what I'm saying is wrong, please by all means, anyone feel free to correct me....

From what I could find, model 638.10.11 is the B-42 Cosmonaut variety. Could not find the "L" denotation, only "M" which is standard for the stainless steel bracelet. There is also the "C" denotation for a crocodile strap on some other models. If C = crocodile and M = metal (?), maybe L = leather. Or perhaps "L" stood for Lemania at one time?

20150422201621_o4u55eqh1jq.gif

606.22.11 seems to represent the non-B-42 Cosmonaut with the smaller 38mm case size. Again, the "L" denotation escapes me. Hope this has been a little bit of a help. I'll check back in if I figure more out...

Thanks Jason.

Makes sense, the one I ordered is indeed a bit smaller than the current B-42 based watch. I think the L likely means leather strap as the one I bought is on an orignal Fortis strap. The real mystery to me is the difference between the 602.22.11L that's on it's way to me and the 606.22.11L that I've found by googling. They look exactly the same....could be a typo on the sellers part I suppose, however there was one link I found to a 602.22.11L that didn't yield much other than to suggest that such a reference number does indeed exist.

It's just about at the border now, so hopefully if our Customs doesn't hold it for too long I'll have it within a week and will put up a few pics.

one other question....how common is the "crown tube problem" on Fortis watches with screw down crowns? Is it a problem across the line, or something specific to the B-42 series ?

Thanks,

Juan