Sign in to follow this  
Samantha

What is the function of this chrono dial

The top sub dial on this starts off with four colored minute bars then a progression of lowering numbers from 12, the first few for every two minutes then stretching out around the track to the last number 3, then the rest of the track is blank? Whats it all about. I first thought it was a power reserve dial but that can't be since the hand keeps moving around the dial in minute intervals.

20150424191726_igk20vb0mgu.gif

I know these dials were made for testing speed etc but not sure of the exact function, thanks anyone

I just had a quick scan through this forum and found another post on a "strang chrono dial" but nothing there like this, I am begining to wonder if it had possible military use? and of course, now I see that the first four coloured marks match the colours of the four outer ring scales so something happening there?

Yes, but do you see how your top sub dial goes UP in even 5 min graduations where as mine is going down in uneven graduations ? , that's the bit that has me puzzled

Ah! My bad, I responded without looking closely.

On 2nd view I thought that first 4 minutes were indeed Tachymeter - and I still do.

Then the counter reverts to a very handy count down counter, but the graduations are not equally spaced, so not sure.

I would add the that sub sunk dial looks repainted, but that is not really possible on enamel

Adam

They do indeed. And their color codes match the color of the tachymeter scales:

red (the outermost scale) is the one giving you the speed for a 1000-m-stretch if you pass it within the first minute (60-300 km/h);

blue (the second from outside) gives you the speed for the same stretch if it takes you more than one but less than three minutes (i.e., you're "in the second minute) (30-59 km/h];

black (the third one from outside) gives you the speed if you're passing the 1000-m-stretch "in the third minute" (20-29 km/h;

green (the innermost scale) indicates the speed you're running at if it takes you more than three but less than five minutes to pass the 1000-m-mark.

Best,

Tomcat