Sign in to follow this  
Angrypuppy

Guidance, 5131

A gold 5131 is my grail. I'm ready to start working on getting one.

I intend to keep it until it's handed down.

I works for me at retail, but on the secondary market I can't touch it.

I know it's an application piece and something I can't just walk in and purchase.

So my questions are. How do I go about being considered a viable option when I submit an application? How many watches does one normally have to purchase prior to being accepted for a 5131? Is it completely out of the realm of possibility to be accepted with the 5131 being the first Patek purchase?

Generally what do I need to do to put myself in a position to get a 5131 at retail.

I'm looking at this as a multi year process for myself.

Thank you.

Do you have an existing relationship with a PP dealer? If you do, then they will give you a sense of likelihood and timing. If you don't it will be very arduous I expect and I wouldn't know where to start! Some people have been waiting 5 years plus and still no sign.

It isn't an application piece, but the limited production makes it behave as such.

You need an AD that is willing to fight for you. They have to call henri Stern and beg constantly. If you don't have that type of relationship with your AD, you have no chance.

I fully expect to need to establish a relationship with an AD. To include the purchase of one or more watches. Which is actually a cheaper way to go than going through my favorite trusted seller, who is able to get one now.

Ideal would be to just get on a waiting list somehow. Next best would be to buy a 5227 and as part of the deal have an application submitted (which is my hope). My intent is to purchase a 5227 as my first Patek anyway. I had started the process with a trusted seller, then decided maybe I'm better off going to an AD if my goal is a 5131.

My hope is that I don't need to buy a pile of watches just to get on a list, because that unfortunately doesn't work for me financially.

Just trying to sort it all out. I'm afraid it will be untouchable for me. Just trying to get a feel for it before I dip my toe in the Patek water.

all you have to do is direct the Patek AD to this thread and they will know you are the real deal, resulting in them happily handing one over to you:)

seriously, i would be guided by the AD, don't assume it is a no without sitting down at the AD and making your intentions known.

you never know.

I posted this question to the PIC of Patek Geneva when I visited their boutique back in July this year. Contrary to common understanding, you do not really have to be a very big buyer or own many pieces in order to be eligible to apply for an Application pieces. A good track record consistently with a single POS ( ie AD ) and no past records of flipping are key considerations for Patek when deciding who to award the limited application pieces.

An AD that will vouch for you will help a lot to speed up the process. Still, for this particular model, due to such high demand and limited production, a waiting period of 3 years or longer is not uncommon.

Ain't gonna happen pal. Sorry to be blunt. But sometimes people need to hear the truth rather than political correct BS. Secondary is your only option, unless you start buying a bunch of Patek's from your AD whom does not have a long list.

Application piece is a myth sometimes. You might be given a chance to put your name on a list but there's no guarantee that an AD will actually submit your application. Even if it does, you might be the 30th person. To be considered among the top lists, like many above said, you have to gain a long established relationship with a spectacular past purchase. These kind of watches have to be pushed and frequently inquired by someone with high regards.

You never know when your turn is about to be given, this watch might be announced discontinuation. Good luck,