Sign in to follow this  
mfer

Less or More (watch consolidation ideas)

Revisited

sotc_zpsr3xycs7n.png

What would you do? Trade one out for one in or try and get something more special? Problem is, the true upgrade ones (PM Rolex or PP) would be a big consolidation.

If I would trade one out, I'd get a new brand, but then worried if I change my mind, it could take a larger hit.

Any advice, personal history or WISdom appreciated.

I would trim at least 2 Rolex (maybe 3), the Tudor and one PAM. Grab an AP and/or PP (your choice of models).

Only you of course can answer this question as we don't know what sings to you in your existing collection.

That way you still have Rolex, PAM, AP & PP.

That's a nice rounded collection IMHO.

Less: trim down to just the 116610LV and PAM 111

Less+upgrade: keep the 111 and trade out all of the others for a WG Sub Date

Change: add a GMT, either a Rolex or a PAM (perhaps trading out the 16610 or Exp)

Tough call. It really depends on how much you rotate these watches. If you wear and love all of them, then it is difficult to preach for a "less" decision.

The daytona (which I am not really fond of) is definitively a classic and worth keeping in my opinion. Also because it is the only chrono there. Of course this assumes that you love and wear it.

I would say, keep the Daytona, one PAM, and a Sub (or explorer)... save up and see if you can add a PM Rolex or something a bit more special.

Thanks for all the input. I wear some more than others for sure. LVc, 232, BB

The 16610 was my first, but I don't wear anymore. LVc dominates.

I could sell the expy, Daytona, sub and maybe 111g. That would get me enough for a PM Rolex or a PP. But 4 for 1 seems like a lot. Maybe I'm not ready.

I think it is a question of does your collection look the way you want it to regardless of how many pieces? Do you wear all of your pieces? Any not get wrist time or only do because you feel you need to since you own it or them? For me it is a question of would you rather have 3 pretty good pieces or 1 killer piece to go with 2 or 3 must owns already in collection? So lots of variables Mik! Cheers,

Looking at your collection, they are mainly daily-beater / wearer kind of watch and serve the same purpose. I will suggest you choose 2 or 3 out of the 7 that you love best to keep and the rest will flip all of them for either a Lange / AP and PP.

Keep 232, LVC (rest are easy to replace) and go for a Patek or PM Rolex. This new 3 watch rotation will have you covered for all occasions and within a reasonable budget.

Good luck with your decision bud!

Fred

I like your collection, but an easy way to consolidate it 1 per brand/Style. Personally, I think 3 is a good number, not a big Panerai fan, but it seems you like them, Daytona, Panaerai (Whichever), and then a Patek dress piece, maybe the 5146

I think you should find out what the true trade value of the watches are. A Trusted Seller can tell you. Then decide what it is you want and the true cost of that watch. Figure out what you would have to give up to get it and then decide the combination that works best for you and your collection and wear.

I just did this but to a lesser degree and a 3 watch collection has been great.

I would keep the Daytona (black), LV (green color splash and covers the sub), and the PAM 232.

The rest can go for a silver/white AP RO or Nautilus. If the 232 has to go to reach the PP then so be it.

Get it down to the one (or two) Rolexes that get the most wrist time, the one Pam that gets the most wrist time, get one of these: (in alphabetical order) an AP ROO (Diver rocks), PP, or PM Rolex if that's what makes your heart sing (I personally prefer PM on straps, so there the new YM looks like a good choice).