Sign in to follow this  
Ricco

Cartier VS Rolex

Is anyone here a long time owner of a Cartier?

I wonder if a Cartier is as ' hard working ' as a Rollie...

Will it last as long ?

Whats everyone take on each brand equity? Are they on par?

Sorry, but Cartier has never been a watch company per se, they are a jewelry company so in the eyes of watch collectors, they are a no go, unless you like the designs.

Comparing a Cartier to a Rolex is pretty much like swearing in church.

Cartier may be a jeweler but their watches are pretty damn nice. If you've never tried one on or looked at one up close, you really should before writing it off as a fancy case maker. I have a 38mm pasha chrono with a Frederic Piguet movement is stunning to look at

I think more jewelry, not watches.

With Rolex It's all about the watch.

Cartier does make some nice watches but IMO they are not "on par" with Rolex when it comes to watchmaking, craftsmanship, quality and service.

There like panarei and Rolex to completely different looks and styles. Both have there ups and downs. I prefer rolex. For anything above what Rolex offers there are so many more watch brands to look at. Like many have said unless u absolutely love the cartier design there are so many better options.

We all know there are no absolute rankings, only people's perception.

Sure, Cartier has produced some historically distinct designs along the way as they are an old jewelry company, but the focus was never on watch-making per se.

To the OP, he wondered if Cartier is "hard working" and if the brand equity are on par. In my opinion they are not. Rolex is perhaps best known/loved for their professional tools sport watches, which are very robust and reliable. Certainly not elegant or full of complications. In this segment I don't see how Cartier can be on the same level as Rolex.

Now it is admirable that Richemont wants to elevate the status of Cartier and introduce manufacture movements, complications and increased quality in finishing. But this doesn't really change my personal opinion about the brand in the short run. We'll see how it plays out over time. Just because GM decides that Buick should put out some sport cars, which at least look good on papers, doesn't mean that they are on par with Porsche or Ferrari.