Sign in to follow this  
skeen

Richard Mille

I'm very interested in Richard Mille. I've read a lot of divided posts about RM on this forum. Some have claimed they won't be around in the future...but I think it's pretty clear they're here to stay at this point (lots also made this statement about Panerai).

They're pricey. Lots have suggested purchasing pre-owned...or just plain getting a good deal due to not great resale. Well, laying down that much cash on a watch would make me very reluctant to go pre-owned...I think if you spend that much you'd want full peace of mind. Right?

Is a boutique likely to cut a deal? Or is buying well mostly about selection? I like the RM11, 35 and 55 so far...

Thoughts?

The boutique in Vegas was willing to give a discount and said they would entertain offers on a RM35 and RM11. But realistically the secondary prices are so much lower than MSRP (30-35% off) that whatever offer I made would not be accepted.

I believe Audemars Piguet owns a significant, if not major share in Richard Mille, and provides movement for a lot of the higher end RM models through APRP (AP Renaud Papi). So if someone did buy RM, it would probably be AP by buying more 'shares' of RM.

RM overrated, RM11 is not worth the price in my opinion, it is priced way too high. But RM is very good at selling them, a great marketing company.

If I buy a RM I would definitely buy them used.

Tried a few on in London today. The RM11 I felt was too big, but the RM29 fit like a glove.

The standout for me though was the RM55, which, as it was the RM35 that initially got me into RM I think I liked the most.

The sales manager told me that RM effectively comes with 5 yrs free servicing. For the RM55...on Chrono 24 the "discount" is about 15%. It's more like 30%+ for the 29.

I was told also that along with changing the strap, they could change the crown colour for me - which is appealing, to jazz things up a bit.

Today I also tried on some Patek's and AP's...but the RM's really made an impression on me moreso than the others.

I'm actively looking at RM as well. I stopped by an AD earlier today to check out the RM-11 in Titanium. They actually had one in stock with a few other pieces including the RM-11 Americas Ltd in NTPT/Orange Rubber as well as the RM-29 in RG and the RM-30 in Ti. I was pretty set on the 11 but after my visit I think the RM30 was actually a much better fit size wise and look wise. A couple pics below.

I do see what you mean with the 30 size. it fits better when wearing a shirt and the 11 looks even more sportier.

I love it how you can see the Rolex just dump and discarded in the background.

I've decided that instead of building up a big collection of watches, which really I have no particular interest in doing, I will have 3 pieces at any one time.

I have one piece right now, the Sub ... and have purchased no further pieces as my next two will be bigger purchases. I am sure I have settled on the Patek 5164, and if I can get it, the RM055 in black.

These watches have varying levels of complication, and also varying levels of (where do I want to wear it?).

The RM, it tells the time. The Sub, has a date. The Patek, date + GMT.

The RM will be like my weekend watch, and something to go with my fashionable clothes (like Givenchy, or Balenciaga). The Sub and the Patek, happy to wear to the office...but I get a bit anxious taking the Sub with me traveling - it's very identifiable.

For a while now I have wanted an AP ROO...but now that the Mille is a strong possibility, I have to say I'm just not interested right now.

I realise these are all dark watches...however, let's remember the RM055 has no dial :) and I think I might chuck on a white or red strap to jazz it up, maybe even have the crown colour changed.

Now I just need for time to speed up!! My GF says she's sick of me looking at Mille's.