Sign in to follow this  
RollieKid

A. Lange & Söhne New vs Pre-Owned Conundrum

Gday All

cheers.gif

After trying on a couple of A.Lange & Sohne watches from the local AD last week, I have to say that I am head over heels for the brand. The finishing and movements on those watches are just exquisite

clap.gif

And considering these watches require some serious cash (even for entry level ones) I went online to have a look at feedback about the brand and their watches. The main concern for ALS watches was the resale value and namely the fact that you could purchase a pre-own at 45% to 50% off the price of a new one.

Its not that I cant afford to pay retail price for the models I am interested in, but I cant help but think (especially for a +$20k watch purchase) that I am forking out $35k when I can get a pre-own (gently used) at $19k.

Which brings me to the following questions for ALS owners:

1) Did you buy your ALS new or pre-owned?

2) For those who bought new, would you have bought pre-owned instead if you were offered the same model pre-owned and at a substantially cheaper price?

3) What advice would you give to a potential ALS owner - Buy new or used?

Cheers

thumbsup.gif

ALS to me are the best watches made in the world. I am coming from PP which most people feel are a notch above, but in my opinion the finish, the quality control, the details...ALS is at the very top of the game.

However, ALS has a terrible resale value whereas PP can occasionally increase or hold fairly level, ALS drops like a rock the moment you take it out of the showroom.

For this reason I would ONLY buy grey market or preowned to take the initial hit off of the table.

ALS like most brands experience a fair amount of depreciation in the secondary market (pre-owned vs. list price). I almost always buy pre-owned and have bought my Lange 1 and 1815 Chronograph that way. If you don't have to have brand new like some people, buying pre-owned is the best way to go for almost all brands.

I bought mine new with warranty from a grey market dealer/trader. I had been looking for a used example of this model for several months, but this model is pretty rare in the 2nd hand market.

Preowned is always a viable option for any brand, as long as you trust the seller.

It also depends on which reference you're seeking, as some of the hard to get pieces may have to be gotten from an AD.

Good luck in your hunt for your favorite ALS, you won't regret it, it's my favorite brand.

thumbsup.gif

ALS has some references that I think are better than their Patek counterparts. One being the 1815 Chronograph. To me, a better overall watch with one of the best manual wind chronograph movements today, and at a lower price point than Patek's 5170.