Sign in to follow this  
Hi-roller

Vacheron Constantin Overseas - should I buy one?

Thinking of acquiring a VC Overseas 49140 (40mm). What are your experiences? Are the servicing costs as high as I've been led to believe? Is it a reliable model that can be worn on a regular basis? How does it compare to, say, the Breguet XXI or Daytona? All feedback welcome from those with experience of this model.

If that's the case give it and shot as you can re-flip if you don't fall for it. I've always thought of it as a well thought design. Can't really comment on the movement but recall it having a low PR. I'd still opt for a Daytona in this case but there was a time when I did want the VC just for the bracelet.

I only have ownership experience with a 49150, the 42mm version, and it's phenomenal.Looks magnificent in person, comfortable to wear, it oozes masculinity and class......

As for the 49140, I'm certain you won't regret the purchase, I'd say go for it......very under appreciated watches IMO.

I'd say if one wants to be different, and wear a watch that's under the radar......then Vacheron has exactly what you need.

clap.gif

I kind of see it like getting a used S-class or 7-series. Price of entry is now a lot easier to swallow, and still is a very nice watch, but don't start complaining about the servicing costs. Is there something specific you like about the watch, or is it more about the perceived value/discount of the model? It's definitely a nicely built watch, but I far prefer the AP royal oak chrono or daytona.

I recently got the VC Overseas chrono and have to say I totally agree with this portion of Hi-roller's statement. I also found an OEM steel bracelet I can use in place of the leather or rubber strap that comes with the anthracite grey titanium dial version. BTW the titanium is a bit of a misnomer because most of the dial is steel.

Quote:

I like this one-- the bracelet is a little funky but it's a beauty for sure. Compared to the Breguet or Daytona, I'd pick the Breguet 1st, VC 2nd & Daytona 3rd (sorry Rolex fanboys), solely on aesthetics.

I'll chime in and say yes. A 49140 should have already taken its biggest depreciation and with recent service should be good to go for awhile. The only downsides that I have noticed are

1. There is no micro-adjusting clasp, so if you are between links, you have to order half links from VC. But they are really 3/4 links so you may have to get two (at about $225 each and then remove a full-sized one).

2. This is a bracelet-only watch. Not a deal-breaker but the newer 49150's can be put on a strap if needed.

To me it wasn't a deal breaker. But just something to consider depending on your preferences and other watches. Every other one I have can go on a strap so this isn't a big deal.

Sorry Tapatalk isn't letting me upload pictures

I can't agree with FP 1185 being unreliable.There are some articles out there, where guys complaining about them, but there always seems to be one common denominator, and that's the brand utilizing these movements.......one brand in particular that shares initials with British Petroleum.See what I'm getting at?

Oh, Rolex cal.4130 is awfully similar, if not damn near identical to FP 1185.......coinkidink?

cheers.gif

Oh, if I wanted the ultimate beat the snot out of chronograph......I'd take a Lemania 5100 powered one......any day.