Sign in to follow this  
eamonn345

Budget beater for hols/weekends

I know this is the high-end rolex forum but was wondering...what watches would you recommend for a reasonably priced beater watch for the hols/weekends ? I have a fairly expensive set of watches (photo attached) and would rather not always wear these if going on hols or going out during the weekends.

I thought I would post this thread as I would've thought a few of the high-end collectors may have a similar issue...!?

uputemen.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

Tapatalk

I use a red sub (got a good deal, basically paid white sub price), all depends on how much you're willing to lose. Mine is used 3 times a year skiing and any other activities that may damage it (use regular strap for swimming etc but use a very strong heavy duty black NATO strap with it for skiing etc as the 9315 is a little brittle).

BLNR is my beater,,,,,,,,i didn't wear any watches until recently ............but as they will only be left to my children and grand children, my wife said it was silly to have nice watches and not wear any.

Lovely collection.

What kind of activity do you have in mind? For me the weekend would be an excuse to wear something luxurious. I do have a g shock that I use for holiday or if I'm going to rough it and don't want to worry about what's on the wrist.

Tapatalk

G-Shock or Seiko depending on duty when you need to put an inexpensive watch on your wrist.

But honestly, I don't see a need for what you've referenced - i.e. holidays or weekends. On vacations I don't tend to travel to iffy areas.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm one of those sorts who wears his watches like they're meant to be worn:

05DCDC9E-350E-45DC-9234-49647935356D_zps7lkhlxff.jpg

A2BBB549-4BF6-4534-ABED-7D779DE48AC8_zpstjk1l8wc.jpg

f8aa66f9.png

(Taken over the weekend in 10 degree weather doing things that would make the typical AP/Blancpain/Rolex owner blanch.)

But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a more affordable option for when the going gets truly rough. If you're averse to the notion of a G-Shock (really, the toughest, most affordable "beaters" out there), I'd recommend the Seiko SSC021 Solar Chronograph:

81DC7AC7-E1DC-4AC1-9D2A-458E3A8D811F-2974-000001A0CC2DE3E7.jpg

It's dead-nuts accurate, can take a proper beating on land or under water, it glows like a torch, looks great (IMO), and as the name implies, it's solar-powered, so you don't need to worry about batteries. As an added bonus, the chronograph second hand sweeps like a mechanical. ;-). I bought this one secondhand in mint condition for $160, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Regards,

Adam

You seem to be missing a dive watch, a chronograph and a beater in your collection.

Seems like the Seiko SSC021 Solar Chronograph suggested above will meet all 3 needs in one. Let us know what you get.

Another beater that seems well regarded is the Seiko Monster.

If you truly want a beater, and to me this means wearing while working on the car, garden, or house projects, or Mtn biking where I could crash, the Seiko Monster is hard to beat. Looks great, takes a beating without showing it, and has a great bracelet and one of the smoothest operating bezels on the market at any price.