Sign in to follow this  
Ken Nielsen

Watch Winders, I'm learning the hard way...

These things are not cheap, some are not anyway... I bought what I thought would be the best, WOLF watch winder and in two months it gave up the ghost (didn't even wait for Holloween) and tried to contact WOLF customer service and didn't even respond to my request for help. $150 bucks down the drain. I tossed it into the big green dumpster and never looked back.

Now, I ended up buying a much less expensive winder I am very happy with, Here is the review I posted on Amazon...

"Other watch winders can 'take a hike.' The Versa Automatic Single Watch Winder performs silently, beautifully and is reasonably priced. The overpriced brands don't come close to offering all that the Versa Automatic Single Watch Winder does. For instance: There are four easy to use interval settings so your watch is wound exactly as it needs and no more. Programmed settings include bi-directional, left, right, and settings for winding duration and rest periods. This is nothing short of first class. The on-off switch also has three settings that include choice of operation light on or off while the unit is on. Includes a watch 'pillow' extender for watches that have larger bands for larger wrists. I rate this winder as five stars because it is top quality at a reasonable cost."

At almost one-fourth the cost of the WOLF winder, I could buy four of these.

Like everything else.. You get what you pay for and it does happen that you get a lemon. No excuse however for the bad CSR. I have way too many winders and they all cost me $700 and up..

I've read that many of the cheaper amazon models can magnetize your watch.. I'll let the experts comment on that.

I actually bought the Versa dual watch winder the other day (should be delivered today thanks to amazon prime). Glad to see you have had a positive experience with it.

There is an important side to the watch winders with settings, I need help in deciding which setting is right for me, and also, why are there various settings? Which watches benefit from which settings:

A: 342 TPD - interval: 33 sec. rotation / 12 min. pause

B: 864 TPD - interval: 10 min. rotation / 90 min. pause

C: 1080 TPD - interval: 30 min. rotation / 3 hr. pause

D: 2160 TPD - interval: 1 hr. rotation / 3 hr. pause

Aside from this there is selection of right, left or bi-directional.

I have two Rolex vintage watches, one with date one without both from the 1960's, both are gold dress watches. Right now I'm using setting 'C' and 'bi-directional' but really don't know. I think there is a 'clutch' that prevents overwinding, but I'm not sure about that either.

That's too bad to hear about your experience with WOLF. I've always had great luck with mine, and the one time I did need to call them for support they were very responsive.

I'm glad you found one that works well for you.