Sign in to follow this  
KMdad44

Apple's new computer watch

Samsung and Apple are the latest creators of computer watches. With all of the futures of these wrist computer, it will be only a matter of time that high end watch company goes by way of he dodo bird. These computers will become popular like the smart phone or tablet.

Not hardly; and the Samsung has been out for quite a while. I'm not worried a bit. Won't wear a watch on both arms. Own a smart watch and the continual reminders are tedious to say the least. Buy one an you'll find out. Good luck in buying a first gen Apple. Can't wait for the gold ones to end up in the junk pile along with all the other obsolete electronics.

Smart watches will have to become something more than just extensions of one's smart phone before they take over the wrists of the world.

Like everything new, novelty seekers will have them and for certain things, a wrist mounted computer may be just what the "doctor" ordered, but my judgement is that people will be reluctant to go through smart watches as fast as they go through smartphones for such a limited payoff.

The computer industry seems to be addicted to planned obsolescence.

Smart watches seem pointless to me still, sure u can caller I'd with it. But ud still need to get ur phone to talk, unless ure on a headset. Sure u can read emails but I prefer to read Any text forms on a phone than the tiny screen

At this point , to me its a iPod nano on the wrist

And I'm already too lazy to charge my phone every night.. I'd be annoyed to charge my watch also

There is very limited wrist real estate. For most people who wear mechanical watches, that real estate will never be ceded to a smart watch.

The people who do not currently wear a watch, however, might easily be persuaded to plant a smart watch on that empty wrist. And then, as Thatguy and Armyguy pointed out above, they may eventually evolve into Rolex-wearing champions like all of us!

Hell, my first watch was a digital Casio. Apple Watch is just the modern equivalent of that.

Anyone who doesn't recognize this time as the slow demise of mechanical watches is foolish. Yes, there have been smart watches before, but never one like the Apple watch. Well priced to make getting the latest generation less painful, Apple has gathered its considerable recourses and committed them to a smart watch. One would be ignorant of recent history to ignore their commitment to a wearable computer.

Mechanical watches will lose their utility. Not with this first generation, but with the third or fourth, Apple will cram so much information, apps, incredible features that it will become the must have device of its time. No one will wear a mechanical watch if everything they need or want can sit on their wrist in an Apple watch.

Years ago, men pulled their timepiece out of their pockets. Soon we will say that men used to look at, and used to pay a premium for, an analogue time device on their wrist. ("They paid that much money? What else did it do? Could you call people? Or text? Or look up things? Or at least purchase things with it?")

Gentlemen, it is time now to see the future. It doesn't include a mechanical watch. If you can't see the change coming, and you don't do what can to mitigate the financial damage, then you reap what your ignorance sows.