Sign in to follow this  
Rollei

Will Smart Watch like Apple take over Rolex in luxury market segment?

Apple is a well known brand like Rolex. After seeing Apple Watch with so many customize template, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to see a classic Submariner dial appear on an Apple watch. There might be an third party apps that you can download into your smart watch along with all the Rolex classic dials plus matching hands. With the correct programming, the second hand can either run 8 beat per second or customize to a smooth sweeping motion.

The Swiss watch industries do not feel the Apple Watch will take over their market segment. To me, it feels like RIM, Nokia or Motorola failed to response with a new product to compete with Apple before it's too late.

I think the younger generation will love tech stuff more. As they grow older, they perceive Apple or other vintage smart watch has a higher value than an old inaccurate analog watch. Our Rolex collections may soon be a paper weight in the next three generations. Who knows?

i'll buy one to compliment my iphone and apps etc. but not replace my rolex watch. the upper $2k range swiss makers need not worry just yet.

if i were a quartz lcd company like suunto or a citizen and invicta, i may be worried.

but really, who knows? one things for sure, if you have an iphone, you're probably going to buy an iwatch if you're a watch person or not.

I think in time the "younger generation" is going to get tired of never escaping from computer screens and computer interfaces, and embrace old analog technology. They will do this because so much computerware is soulless crap, and they will want to be different from the masses. It will become a new type of cool.

This watch is a fad - like those google glasses. It will be over soon. These tech companies are running out of ideas so they are producing trash to see what sticks. As far as overtaking Rolex, yes it will happen ... it will happen the day when a a gold fish will be able to attack and kill a killer whale...

Smart watches are competing with smart phones more than they are luxury mechanical watches because the iwatch requires the iphone to function and some people will simply not choose to have the watch when anything it can do is available on the phone they already must have anyway. And once they become independently functional they have a real problem because due to their size limitations (screen size and being able to cram as much electronics into a way smaller package) they will likely never be able to perform like the phone. Electronic sophistication aside, Just the screen size is a big obstacle. In case you haven't noticed, cell phone keep getting bigger - even Apple followed the market on this instead of leading it. It's tough to find even a 4" screen in a higher end phone anymore.

A Rolex is an aspirational purchase, something a smart watch will never be. Let's keep in mind that a Rolex is not an entry level time piece and is rarely the first watch a person buys.

To the extent that smart watches get more young people to start wearing watches, it will be a good thing in the long run for the prestige brands.

And BTW, I think some underestimate just how many young people still aspire to have a nice car, a big house, and a Rolex. I'm talking about kids that have plans to accomplish things in their lives, and there are a great many of them.

No way that the apple watch is going to take over Rolex.

Just think about it..Rolex has been around for more than a century and during that time, it has seen so many technological gadgets come and go. And Rolex is still as strong as ever.

I believe Rolex is not even battling an eyelid over Apple watch.