Morse

The old "sell 5 for 1" collection move.. thoughts?

Hey forum,

A seed of an idea has been growing in my head, and I'm not sure if I should stomp my boot on this seed, leave it alone, or nurture it.

20150701190323_h3far1qzopd.gif

My collection size is never 100% constant, but it's a bit on the high side for me at the moment in terms of each piece getting a fair rotation. Also as my income has grown, I'm tending to be drawn closer to the more expensive watches in my collection.

I'm sure many on this forum have found themselves in similar situations, so I would be curious to hear your happy endings / horror stories lol.

The idea is to sell the 5 watches outlined in red, which quick math suggests may get me around $2,000:

20150701190333_h40tchxessh.JPG

Plus add another $500 or so to get this watch:

20150701190339_e3omekhtpit.jpg

- Picture from ABlogToWatch

Some quick thoughts:

Pros:

I like the idea of downsizing - less pieces to service, wear in rotationI like the variety and uniqueness I would have left in the core pieces - flieger, chronograph, and quality sub-style diver (after picking up the Tudor)Hits the "reset" button on my collection, opening up additional space for future piecesCons:

The Tudor would be more than twice the purchase price compared to what I've spent on other individual watches. Not sure how I feel about this.Remorse risk (the grass is always greener...)? Would I miss any of the sold ones terribly?I just bought the Steinhart Ocean One, and I don't have the flipper gene in me lol.Alternative:

Rather than put all five of my watches on the market now, I could just downsize slowly, without the specific goal of doing this to fund a particular watch. The most sensible (but boring) path forward.

It is unreasonable to sell all 5 at once and expect a decent amount of money back. YOu could probably do what you said if you sell them really low for a fast buck, but I would take the sell them all at the same time route, but try to get the best bang for your buck. They won't all sell at once, but you should be able to cover the nice tudor that way.

I like the Tudor better than any of the watches you are selling.

I think going higher is the natural path and diversity is not sacrificed as 4 watches in the red are dive watches. Do it.

I think it really comes down to your personal taste, if the Tudor is what you want for your all round watch then go for it. I think you will only have remorse if its not the all round watch you are looking for. I think you need to consider your job, hobbies, what you do outside of work (gym, sports etc) If this is the watch for all seasons then go for it. As for other cheaper watches, I guess you could get them any time but if the Tudor is the one they you are probably better off selling.

Except for the OVM, I would have no hesitation selling the other watches if it got me closer to a Tudor Black Bay. The Black Bay is an excellent watch, and I am extremely happy with mine.

Normally I'm a big fan of variety and would advise against consolidation, but here Id say go for it.

The 5 you highlighted are nice enough watches, but nothing special and have overlaps in your collection. Sterile Pilot (is that archimede?) makes Laco redundant.

Tag just feels dated and out of place in that collection. Helson is a cool diver - but 007 fills the same role.

The Steinharts are good watches based on all I've seen, but they are homages. Without getting into that discussion - Tudor is a major upgrade quality wise and on history\originality.

Tudor is just a very well built watch a whole tier above all 5 others. It's a beauty and is a great example of a modern built diver\sports watch.

I just did this move... I'd venture a guess that 99% of you would disagree strongly with my move, but I traded mine with a dealer for a single watch. I haven't regretted it one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk