Sign in to follow this  
watcher001

First date of caliber 79320?

I also posted in my other thread but thought i'd make an own topic out of this one.

Maybe someone here knows...

I have a 3706 spitfire chrono with serial 303xxxx and it's originally bought May 2004 which matches the warranty card.

But after looking inside I noticed it has a 79320 movement. I didn't think these began shipping until early 2005?

The only alternative is that the movment has been replaced at some point.

/n

Hi Nick,

I am not at home for another week so I can't check the catalogs. I did a quick search on the IWC site but didn't find anything in the first few pages of results (looking for caliber number).

Kind regards,

Cinq

IWC calibre 7922

base: Valjoux 7750

ca. 1996 - 2005

automatic winding movement with date- and weekday-indication Gold plated with IWCs surface-finishing. Decorated, assembled and regulated at Schaffhausen. regulation-system TRIOVIS

USED IN

ref. 3704 - Porsche Design Titan Chronograph 01

ref. 3706 Fliegerchronograph Automatic (Classic + Spitfire)

ref. 3707 GST Chronograph Automatic

IWC calibre 79320

base: Valjoux 7750

since 2005

automatic winding movement with date- and weekday-indication Nickel plated with IWCs traditional surface-finishing. Decorated, assembled and regulated at Schaffhausen. regulation-system TRIOVIS Last version of the modified Valjoux 7750 with original indications.

USED IN

ref. 3706 Fliegerchronograph Automatic (Classic + Spitfire)

ref. 3717 Fliegerchronograph Automatic ref. 3719 Aquatimer Chronograph Automatic

ref. 3781 + 3782 Aquatimer Chronograph Automatic Cousteau

Can't explain.

Be happy you got the newer movement? Or pissed you didn't get the gold plate

Status update for those interested.

I e-mailed IWC the question with my serials and got the following response:

"...the change from one calibre (7922) to the other (79320) has been gradually taken place during the years 2003, 2004 and 2005. Therefore, it is possible that the calibre 79320 was originally set in your timepiece"

So seem like the 79320 was possible as early as may 2004.

(Very nice of IWC to respond within a few days, not been so lucky with other brands)

Cheers

Nick

Good and useful infos, thank you all! It won't be so easy to get infos about the shift from ETA-Valjoux to the Sellita SW500 clone, from when and in which models does IWC use them... anyway, any good info is welcome!

And there is also an info from pre-1996 on cal. 7902 and 7912, when and into which models these ETA-Valjoux 7750-base movemets went. Difference between 7912 and 7922 is the Etachron vs. Triovis (I have one Fliegerchrono with each, my 3705 having the 7912 and 3706 having the 7922), dunno about 7902.

It won't be easy to get an honest reply on from when does the 7750 come as an assambled and regulated movement from the ETA (I know about 2007) and what modifications does it still have - if any. (My 7750-based 3 IWC does not perform the same: the least stabile is the one from 2010, while the other two from 1994 and 1998 still perform fantastical... by performance I mean the regulability, difference between wearing and winding machine, values on Witchi, regarding different positions rates, differences, amplitudes and "Abfall" (dunno the English word for it).

Some think that todays 7750-based IWC calibers are directly "from the shelf" ones, as they are from Sellita too.

I don't say I do not love my 7750-based IWC watches but it's good sometimes to have a clear view...

Regards,

Robert