Sign in to follow this  
watcheva

Mini-review: Rotary Aquaspeed GT Monza

Hi guys,

While I was purchasing a Rotary 604c last week I saw another Rotary that really caught my eye. Well... I has some b-day money still available so I jumped and purchased another... this time a Swiss-Made Rotary Aquaspeed GT Monza.

20150721004840_mlgs3k5xp1r.jpg

It is a 42mm Tounneau style SS case with a Swiss-made automatic movement, domed sapphire crystal, screw-down back with a sapphire exhibition window, Swiss lumiNova lume on the indices and minute/hour hands, date at 3 o'clock, screw-down crown, butterfly clasp on a very nice silicone 22mm strap (I hate silicone straps but this one is pretty nice), a smooth and solid feeling unidirectional bezel and a life-time warranty from Rotary. Not bad at all for a watch I picked up for $200!

20150721004840_mjck1tqjwxi.jpg

Racing flags engraved on the crown look sharp. Speaking of, the crown sits nearly flush when screwed down, but because it hangs below the widest part of the case, it is very easy to grasp and use and feels exceptionally smooth and precise while making adjustments. I was particularly taken by how smoothly it screws down. Like butter!!

20150721004841_ez2bukqtdfu.jpg

Domed sapphire crystal is exceptionally clear and really adds to the vintage-60's vibe of this watch.

20150721004841_v3jqcxqjpdg.jpg

The 21-jewel automatic movement hacks and hand-winds and has a very solid feel to it when adjusting the date/time. The only indicator of manufacture I could find was a cryptic "IT12". Not sure who makes this. Anyone have any info on this movement??

20150721004842_10rucktkhvm.jpg

The watch looks fantastic on my 7.5" wrist. Not too big... just right. Love the blue racing stripe. Really adds to the vintage racing vibe.

20150721004842_qdf5n0x1qnj.jpg

The Tounneau-style case is nicely brushed with a few well placed polished accents. Simple but nice.

20150721004843_n5nwzf5qvk4.jpg

Here you can see the crown fully deployed. It is very smooth and easy to use and screws down like butter. Did I say that already??? LOL

20150721004843_0gfmoyo1sd2.jpg

I really like the contrast between the red minute/second hands and the polished steel hour hand. The polished indices provide just the right amount of shine and geometric pop to the dial. Oh... and that blue stripe. Looks sharp!!!! Honestly my only complaint is that the while I like the simple design of the bezel, I think that the quality just doesn't match the rest of the watch. Trust me when I say I'm being very picky here, but I do wish the bezel looked a bit more expensive than it does. This watch deserves better. Regardless, the over-all look and design are excellent IMO.

20150721004843_fhzlln5p2ms.jpg

Ok... I think I am done buying new watches for a bit!! LOL... famous last words, right? Anyway, this is a really nice addition to my collection and the first "Swiss-made" watch to be added into my affordables collection with which I maintain a strict $200 limit per watch. To the best of my knowledge I got a steal here. The Rotary GT Monza is very comfortable, the vintage 60's racing vibe looks fantastic, it is keeping very accurate time so far (+/- 4 or so seconds a day), the domed sapphire crystal really looks great, the lume is solid and bright, and the overall feeling of quality is hard to mistake. This is a pretty nice watch guys!

Cheers!

I'm really digging the strap fitment.

Nice watch, especially for ~$200.

I'm guessing the movement is a Chinese caliber, reworked to meet the minimum "Swiss Made" standards.

I like the case shape, and the crown detail is a nice touch.

20150721004844_v35szxoh5bh.gif

Good looking watch. I'm guessing the movement is a Claro CL-888 which is basically a Seagull ST-16 with some Swiss finishing, this was also the first "Swiss Movement" I owned. It should prove to be reliable for you.

Hey guys... just a quick follow-up to this review. I checked in with Rotary and apparently the movement inside this watch is a Rotary modified Sellita. I'm still working on determining which exact Selita was the starting point for the movement, but this news is very interesting considering I thought what I had was a Swiss modified Sea-gull movement. Anyway, am absolutely loving the watch and it is keeping very good time at about +4 to 8 seconds a day, depending on if I am wearing it or not.

20150721004844_0zsc5liwr0t.jpg

20150721004845_wzkdtztcath.jpg

Well, here's as much as I could find about the IT12, from a Hong Kong seller.

SWISS MADE Automatic Date in Window Watch Movement - Watch Movement Products | HKTDC

Maybe Rotary has done something with a Sellita (though the SW-200 has 26 jewels, it is the same size), but I'm still skeptical.

http://www.sellita.ch/images/stories...1_DOC_FULL.pdf

All in all, though, it's a nice looking watch. In the past, I've thrown Rotary in the same category as Invicta and Stuhrling Original, but from the looks of things (and from reading the Rotary history) I think I was wrong. They are a step above, even if their prices are still really low. Great watch!

Very interesting. Upon further viewing of the link you provided, it would seem your skepticism was accurate: I was able to locate the manufacturer and it seems certain that the movement in my Rotary GT is neither a SeaGull or a Sellita, but rather an Inter-T IT12.

I located Inter-T's business website and was able to gather plenty of info about the movement including specs and drawings: INTER-T SA

Thanks for the investigative work!!