Sign in to follow this  
Tttale

Quartz Guilt! Anyone Else Suffering?

Well I picked up that new watch a few days ago, pictures are on this thread;http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/her...;-2017841.html I have nothing new to show picture wise but since I added 2 links back onto the bracelet and put it on my autos have been rested and there's the guilty feeling. Autos are like pets I think you know. You must were them constantly if you expect accuracy and letting them sit until they stop seems cruel somehow. My Enicar is in the winding box but the Steinhart and the custom Bllack Bay watch are both on R&R.

I just came in from 4 days of work and checked the Tag against the timer I keep running on this computer and it is (as hoped) right on. Slim, classy, but understated I am very happy I finally bought one! But the guilt over my autos languishing in my cabinet is always nagging at me. I am actually considering taking one along next trip just to keep it running.

Anyone else using both autos & quartz dealing with these weird watch thoughts?

Ard

I never felt a "connection" with my autos that people always describe. Much happier with Quartz. I let my autos sleep then set them when u want to wear them. They are not alive, so I feel no guilt. I'm sure they don't care about me anyway.

Nope, no guilt. I decided a few years ago that I would no longer be a marketing victim and wear what I like to look at because quartz or auto, it makes no difference. I like autos but I no longer buy them even for re-sale. I have kept my two favorite Seiko 5s and one vintage Timex diver and all the rest are quartz now. Owning an auto does not make you any smarter than a quartz owner nor does it make you part of some ages-old tradition of watchmaking. Since mechanical watches are more expensive and less accurate they need some kind of marketing schtick in order to stay in production......and the themes I talked about are just that. Dont get me wrong, I like mech watches and find them interesting, but no more so than any other type of watch. If its a watch, I want to look at it and learn about it so I will always own at least a few autos.

I'm a bit weird in this way (and many, many others) in that I do like mechanical watches because I can grasp the inner workings more intuitively than quartz timepieces. I have done electronic repair and design and microcontroller programming, but there is something about gears and belts and counterweights that...pleases. I don't know another word for it. A quartz does the job, but I feel like an automatic watch does it like a human would - with a bit of error and obstinacy.

No guilt here either. I have both mech and quartz, as well as 2 handwind watches. On a daily basis I wear what I want or what I think goes best with what I'm wearing and doing. In fact, if anything, I'd feel more guilty about the quartz watches ticking away in the watch box (wasted energy) than the mechanicals sitting idle - that is if I felt anything other than satisfaction when looking at them...