Sign in to follow this  
tuanfun

What movement would you like to see in an "Affordable"?

So what movement would you like to see in an affordable that doesn't get seen too often? So dont go with the usual 9015 and so on.

The one movement that I think is cool is the VSA Chrono Classic 1/100 movement.

I wish there were more mechanical chronographs in the affordable range. I would go with that, but there really aren't too many to choose from. Anybody have any suggestions on something other than the st19?

I would like to see a 24hour watch as well. I know its a small crowd, but I think it would be great to see a good affordable other than the Russians.

Heres the 1/100 in motion

Any GMT on a wider scale than current: Explorer homage, or bada$$, long-gone Explorer homage. Even then, they aren't necessarily cheap, or easy to get.

I would love to see Seiko make the Spring drive in an affordable version. Maybe it takes too much custom tuning to do it yet, but their philosophy does seem to drive technology downscale, so maybe there's hope.

I would prefer a hand-wind chronograph, but auto isn't bad either. I would be interested in finding a watch/movement that could be sold for less than $600.

Come back 3133...

What else is out there for cool movements? Not just chronos

I'm a sucker for trick movements like the Chrono Classic 1/100. I could name a half dozen others, but those tend to get siloed within the manufacturer who does the movement, typically. (I know the VSA CC 1/100 is a Soprod, but generally speaking...) Having those be something that could be ordered easily would help.

While I'm at it, big date, GMT, other variations of dials on mechaquartz (or somebody needs to make a competitor).

I'd love to see a solidly reliable mechanical chrono <$1000, but it's tough. Tissot has the non-serviceable ones, 3133 isn't an auto and is priced pretty high (if findable.) ST19 has QC issues and the 7750.... well, it's findable under $1000 if you're lucky, but the first service cost will knock it well beyond. I'm not holding out huge hope for Seiko making their auto chrono particularly affordable, but if they could imbue it with reliability then that's probably close enough.

Really the problem, though, is sourcing what exists. Either supply chains are stretched/constrained (Soprod, Sellita) or locked down to specific contracted users (NE88, ETA movements in general) or the manufacturer isn't willing to sell to 3rd parties for any cost (Precisionist, Eco-Drive, etc etc.)

I would love to see an affordable alarm movement.

There's the Vulcain Cricket, and old stock Poljot 2612 movements - but are there any modern affordable alternatives?