Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Sinn 104 - Day alignment

I just received my first Sinn watch -- a 104 St Sa. Beautiful design and very comfortable on the wrist. Two small things, however. One is a slight misalignment of the Day in its window (the Date is fine). Interestingly, the misalignment varies by Day. For example, SAT looks great whereas TUE and WED tilt downward slightly, higher on the left and tipping down to the right. I'll admit I'm pretty particular and this may not be an issue for others. Here's a picture:

20150727181045_arz5rpnppne.jpg

If you own a 104, I'd be interested to know if you see the same thing. Since the alignment varies by Day, I'm thinking this is related to the printing of the Day wheel rather than to an assembly issue. I should also point out that while the Day tilts a bit, none of the characters are cut off or hard to see -- all of the printing is visible through the Day window.

Unfortunately, I also noticed two small pieces of debris under the crystal -- maybe something off the dial that stuck to the AR coating during shipping? The larger of the two is above the "a" in Automatik. The smaller is between the 1 and 2 second markers at the top of the dial. I would imagine that a competent local watchmaker could easily remove this debris. Watchbuys has also been helpful in their communications regarding an exchange, if necessary.

I have to admit that both the debris and Day misalignment are small issues in the scheme of things. Your thoughts -- too particular?

20150727181045_ebe2copjfbg.gif

John

Good to hear WB is working with you, John.....the date would bother me more so than the dust, but sound slike WB will correct both at the same time with an exchange. It's a cool watch and I hope you get this worked out to your satidfaction.

The dial on my 104 is clean, but I have the same day misalignment issues you have. I have mine set in German, but a few of the days are slightly misaligned. At first it bugged me a bit, but I'm over it. Love the watch. I had to send mine to RGM to add some oil, as the day quickset function got stuck after only a few weeks owning the watch (the day would change normally with advancing time, but I could not change it independently with crown). It was an easy fix, and both Watchbuys and RGM provided fast and excellent service. Regarding the small bits of debris in your dial, that is something that would actually bug me more than the day wheel issue. If I were you I'd get that cleaned under warranty. If you do happen to get some info on replacing the day wheel, please send me a PM; I doubt I'd bother with it, but if it's a painless warranty fix, I'd consider it. Thanks.

I just ran thru the days, English and German, and fortunately they are fine. Maybe this latest run was hit (I've had mine for a few weeks now) I know they are limited so far in the States and your two are the first I've heard of this, seems like those who got theirs earlier got a good batch.

or maybe my eyes are crooked and the days are off but I see them as straight. :)

Good luck, guys!

I got mine in the first batch. I just scrolled through the days and noticed that only two of them are slightly misaligned (german FRE and DIE), and like the OP said, it's very slight, though noticeable. I guess I could switch it to English and avoid the problem. An imperfection for sure, but not a big deal to me. If several days were like that, I might be inclined to get a new date wheel though.

well, there goes my thought about older vs. newer batches....I agree that John's is more than "slight" and that much would bother me. Hopefully more owners will chime in

here are a few shots of mine in English and German for comparison to John's

IMG_0456_zps38c7192a.jpg

zxc_zps9c395faf.jpg

IMG_2618_zpsdb5e5c0b.jpg

IMG_2543_zpsf84e2ee5.jpg

Thanks for all the input. Given the various issues, I decided to send the 104 back to Watchbuys for evaluation. Hoping for an exchange but I don't think the 104 is in stock at the moment. Matt and others at WB have been very helpful and responsive regarding my questions and concerns.

John

After reading this, I had to go back and look at mine closer. Nothing to report do not know which "batch" mine is from, other than it is # 63.

VERY pleased with it . Sorry to read the situation with yours. Bought a 20 x 18 black leather with white stitch Sinn strap for it, which I like better.

HHS