Sign in to follow this  
JohnBaker3

July 20th 1969 - First Watch On The Moon !!

Hey Guys:

As everyone pretty well knows, 7.20.69 was a big day in the history of US Space Flight and the history of Omega Speedmasters.....

Please help celebrate by showing off your "pre-moon" SMP's and sharing the love!

cheers.gif

my first conscious memory as a kid is my parents waking me up to watch the moon landing. I was only 5 at the time, but to this day it is a fond, proud moment. I love that I can pick the exact time I was aware of the world around me and that this miraculous achievement is what started it all for me!!

thumbsup.gif

I really wish we could spend the kind of money we spend on defense on space exploration. It's sad we can't live in that world. NASA only gets 0.5% of the total U.S. Budget and at its peak in the 60s, it only had around 4.5%.

In case you haven't heard the full story, Buzz Aldrin's Speedmaster was actually the "first" watch on the surface of the moon.

Neil Armstrong deliberately left his inside the moon lander to protect it from a possible accident during the "first step"...

Today, I learned about this little incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

Hope he wasn't wearing his 14KT gold Speedy !!

You go Buzz !!

cheers.gif