Sign in to follow this  
Maxy

Omega Watches Will Be �Officially Certified� By New Swiss METAS Certification

Omega Watches Will Be Officially Certified By New Swiss METAS Certification, COSC Abandoned

Today, Omega has announced some very exciting news in regard to how it will certify the performance and accuracy of their timepieces with in-house produced movements. In short, Swiss Omega watches will abandon COSC Chronometer certification in favor of a new and more comprehensive certification by the Swiss government controlled METAS agency.

One major reason for this is that moving forward more and more Omega watches will contain the company's Master Co-Axial technology which includes both a unique type of escapement as well as anti-magnetic properties

Full Article -

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-me...certification/

Metas-Swiss-Metrology-Insitution.jpg

Omega-Seamaster-300-Master-Co-Axial-watch-9.jpg

Despite this certification being open to everybody, the truth is that it is totally geared toward Omega. Making a watch to be antimagnetic to over 15,000 gauss is not the industry standard, nor will it be for many years (if ever).

What I am more interested in is how the accuracy will be tested (movement alone and within the watch). This is definitely more impressive than the COSC certification. I think COSC was a good idea back in the day, but watches are now made with such precision that even a cheap Chinese movement can pass the COSC certification. It is about time things got more serious.

I think we should look at it this way: Omega is making a product with attributes higher than the COSC certificate. They have designated standards which are higher than normal industry practice, and a third party is attesting that their product meets those higher standards..isn't this a good thing?

I agree with R.J. aka Superdoc, that Omega has higher standard product than COSC certification, so they have defined a HIGHER standard than COSC testing and asked another third party to certify that they are living up to that higher standard...all COSC tests will be conducted for accuracy and isochronism and MORE, so I really thing this is a positive step for the overall better quality of the product.

I think this could well be a good thing, potentially for the industry.

Omega's Co-Axial movements have been well documented as being highly accurate typically better than COSC standards!

Thorough testing of all aspects not just the time keeping by a regulated third party would surely keep the quality control tight? Which means the customer gets a better watch?

"I don't think that you guys really understand this...

it is NOT Omega testing Omega Watches....METAS is a Government agency, not a division of OMEGA."

Read it again. Omega will be testing the watches, not METAS. Omega will have to use METAS certified equipment, but they will be testing they own watches in-house. That's why it's supposed to be cheaper.

I am not bothered by Omega doing the testing in-house. I know they would never think about any sort of funny business. Too much is on the line.

The only thing that bothers me about the whole METAS certification, if true, is that METAS itself does not have a standard that all watches must meet like COSC. The standards that Omega has set for its own watches are impressive, no doubt, but if a lesser brand sets their own standards as, for example, -10/+10 seconds a day (and nothing else), it can also be METAS certified. On one hand, you have Omega that does all sorts of tests (accuracy, magnetic resistance, water resistance, etc...). On the other hand, you have some other brand that has BS standards that any watch can meet. Both would be METAS certified. To me, that sort of cheapens the whole thing.

I realize that METAS is not the same as COSC, but I really wish that the Swatch Group and METAS set some universal standards. For example, there could be various levels of certification, each level being more intense than the next. The higher-end watch brands would try to get the highest level of certification and the mid-end and low-end brands would go for the lower certification levels. Just a thought...

Thanks for your response RJ. You make valid points and I agree with your statements completely. With that in mind I believe there is some light at the end of the tunnel in this direction. However I remain a bit skeptical at this point because exactly what Wesley points out in his above post. Perhaps as this develops and takes shape we'll have a clear universal higher standard than COSC.

I do wish the testing was not done by Omega, perhaps at a later time when METAS is more prepared equipment wise, they can take over testing like COSC.