Sign in to follow this  
Hairdude1

Help with Omega

Hey guys I was in the local Omega boutique today and was trying on the "New" Speedmaster. Has anyone purchased this? They were saying new "in house movement" vs i believe ETA. What are your feelings on his timepiece? Thanks in advance!

I thought the 9300 is produced by Omega in-house at their factory in Biel/Bienne.

ETA belongs to the Swatch group and so is Omega... pretty sure parts sharing occurs more than once

It did have two sub dials, correct? If so, this is the cal. 9300, Omega's completely in-house chronograph movement. The previous auto Speedmasters (as well as quite a few currrent variants) used a variety of movements, most commonly the Co-Axial cal. 3313. This was a modified F. Piguet movement with Omega's exclusive Co-Axial escapement. The classic Speedmaster Pro uses the cal. 1861, which is an evolution of a Lemania movement that they've been using since the 1970s - it's become so synonymous with Omega and the Moonwatch, it might as well be in house these days

As for the cal. 9300, it's a very impressive movement. I like the innovative dial layout, increasing legibility, improving functionality (that natty combined hour/minute counter doubles as a GMT function), and lending a nice amount of symmetry most chronos with dates can't match. The big power reserve and beautiful finishing are positives too, and with a 4 year warranty and longer service intervals, it's a pretty formidable package. The downside is that it is slightly taller than the previous chrono movements used, adding extra height to the watch on the wrist. Overall, I like it, but I wouldn't have one over the Speedmaster Pro

Chris

If you google it pics will pop up with tons of wrist shots. It will also take you to other forums were they have been discussed lots of times.

I have had one on my wrist before and I was really impressed, it is a great watch.