Sign in to follow this  
Big_S

Omega Movements

Hey all,

I just wanted to do a comparison of bph from different Omega Cal.'s and Rolex Cal.'s to cost (purchase and maintenance) over time. When I've gone to Omega's web page, I've seen movements other than the 2500 and 8500, that I'm not familiar with. Omega didn't list each movement's bph that I saw either. Is there a reference that anyone knows of that lists Omega Cal.'s and their respective bph's, service intervals, service costs?

TIA

wow Steve...now I love mathematics, stats and Economics but man, you taking it too seriously :) enjoy your Rolexes cuz thats a stronger brand so paying more for it...plus you like it better, esthetically speaking, so that doesn;t matter at all what anything else would cost or if anything else would be more reasonable economically...anyway, to play along, given the quiet similar bph on most watch movements and the huge price difference in Rolex and Omega(initial purchase plus service) and the quiet similar, even longer service intervals in case of co-ax, I say thats a very easy winner for Omega :)

I think, from my reading, that higher bph does not necessarily correspond to higher quality nor to better time-keeping.

In the case of the 25,200 bph coaxials, I think the choice of seven beats per second had something to do with optimizing internal harmonies for greater reliability and improved time-keeping.

All langes and many, if not most Patek and AP use 21600 bph. the 7 day iwc movement is 18000 bph. Some watchmakers consider slower beats to be more interesting because it requires more skill to regulate. Also the slower the rate generally the less wear and tear.

There is no correlation either way between bph and quality.

Also, the depth rating of the watch will figure in to the noise (or lack thereof), as watches with greater depth ratings (such as the 600m PO) use thicker cases and crystals, seals, etc., which will tend to muffle the sound more....and afaik Omega has a little antimagnetic cover that goes inside the case back, which again would work to cut down the noise....all of this may not be present on the Pam, which could alone explain the sound level difference you're hearing.

Here is an article I've always found interesting regarding the co-axial:

http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...70193290479607

Odets' Rolex criticisms aside, this article is incredibly thorough. This part has always intrigued me...

"In the co-axial escapement, this is accomplished with a largely rolling (as opposed to sliding) impulse to the balance. The impulse friction in such a radial design is reduced by more than the radial nature of the geometry. The length of sliding or rolling contact in a radial design is a fraction of that in a lever design--approximately seven percent. An important additional advantage provided by the co-axial design is the smaller lift angle and increased arc of free vibration of the balance wheel. A much greater part of the total arc is conducted free of interfering contact with the pallet lever. Such contact compromises the physics of the balance-spring unit. "

and then later...

"the co-axial balance operates free of escapement interference for about 87% of its arc, the lever escapement for only 81%. This means that the lever escapement works against escapement interference that is 143% of that in the co-axial escapement. In a vertical position, with the balance beginning from center upwards, the inhibiting impulse that occurs after center can exacerbate the positional problem, depending on the poise errors in the balance. The co-axial escapement significantly reduces such effects."

thumbsup.gif

cheers.gif