Sign in to follow this  
LordAsriel

Omega PO chrono vs Tag Grand Carrera 17RS

I am seriously thinking about buying an Omega PO chronograph, the version with the black dial, orange numbers and rubber black strap (reference 2910.51.82). The alternative option is the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera 17RS with black dial (you can see both watches side by side on the attached photo).

I was thinking maybe you could help me choose between them.

Appearance-wise, it seems to me that the omega is more classic and more sporty, while the tag is more original (different than most watches you would see) and more classy. The Tag has a transparent case-back which is a nice touch, though not really important. The omega is slightly bigger.

The omega is more water-proof (600m vs 100m) but then again I am not a diver so it does not make any difference for me. On the other hand I like to keep my watch on all the time, even when I take a bath or when I go for swimming, so if I go with the tag, I would probably have to buy a replica leather strap (as I understand the original one is rather expensive and would be quickly destroyed by water). The Omega's strap is rubber so it shouldn't have any problems with water. If anyone has a PO with rubber strap can you please confirm this?

Their price is exactly the same.

Company-wise I believe that Omega is slightly more prestigious than Tag but then again I am not sure. What got me pissed about Tag is that I have a kirium chronograph and after a few years since I bought it, the entire kirium line got discontinued, which resulted in an immediate 50% drop in their price. So this got me thinking that Tag does not respect their watches. I think Omega is more consistent with their watches, I could never imagine the entire Sea Master series being discontinued for example... On the other hand there are some other Tag series like monaco or link that are being continued for years.

So I really don't know how to choose. Maybe in terms of appearance I slightly prefer the Tag, however I think that Omega is a better watchmaker. What would you choose? Any input would be appreciated...

I owned that exact watch (right down to dial/bezel/red numbers/rubber strap). The strap is AMAZING...loved the leather look, yet rubber functionality in water. Also, the lume on the markers and hands is outstanding. Overall I really liked the watch and would highly recommend it. I'm not a Tag man...they've never done anything for me.

My only knock on the watch was the comfort. I like big watches, but for some reason this PO wasn't the most comfortable larger watch I've owned. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was extremely uncomfortable, but I could definitely tell it was on my wrist (and not always in a good way). In comparison, my DSSD is fatter from a thickness point and weighs more, yet it is much more comfortable...never had a complaint. Maybe it had to do w/ my wrist shape and the PO, but it's something to consider prior to purchase. Might want to give it an extended trial run at an AD prior to pulling the trigger.

Good point....on the strap it's pretty comfortable, but I personally have an issue getting it balanced : basically, being 45 mm it just wants to slide down towards the "ball of the wrist", and it seems like that deployment clasp doesn't center well on my wrist.

I recently got an aftermarket strap w/buckle (Brady parasail), which has a bit of texture that I like more than the finish on the rubber strap, and it seems to stay balanced a bit better for me. Hirsh also makes some nice looking straps, but I'm getting OT here.

But other than the balance thing, which one can get around simply by wearing the watch a bit more tightly or getting some of those adhesive discs that stick to the bottom (haven't used those, so can't vouch), it is a pretty comfortable watch.

Also, it stays balanced very well on the Omega bracelet (got that for it as well), although then for some the weight might become an issue; that's a sturdy , stout bracelet, and weighs in accordingly.

thumbsup.gif

I would go with the POC

I like the 17RS, but I doubt I would spend that much cash on a tag. And I think the 17RS only has 30 min chrono, while the POC has full 12 hr

and the buttons on POC is operational under water, and the lume should be way better

btw, is the movement of 17RS based on V7750?