Sign in to follow this  
PorscheStan

Watch Winder Advice Please

I've had a 3 place Orbita for 10 years now and it looks and runs like the day I got it. Problem is they are hella costly.

http://www.orbita.net

I've been noticing great deals on Wolf winders on eBay. I was thinking of getting 2 4 place Wolf's and selling the Orbita.

I have heard bad things about the cheap no-name winders.

I assume that you're always wearing one, and so only need a one-watch winder. If so (and if not, they sell it in two and four watch versions), this is an excellent single-watch winder, priced at about $150 shipped:

http://www.watchwinderstore.com/watc...belair-abn.htm

I got the four-winder version last year. It still works flawlessly, is very quiet, and is the only one I've found in this price range that has both programmable direction (Rolexes have bidirectional rotors, so you want to wind the watch in both directions) and number of turns per day (650 works well on both my Daytona and Sub) to prevent needless wear on the rotor mechanism from winding it more than is necessary.

Comes with a two year warranty, very reasonably priced and well built.

Only issue may be that on the two-watch and up winders, they have one drum per two watches, which can be an issue if you have a watch with bidirectional rotors (Rolex) and one without (Breitling, others). I checked Orbita's database and couldn't find any info on Chaumet, so can't help you there...

I have the same question as Stan.... how bad is it to let thet watch unwind for long periods of time? The watch sits unwound in the box, for long time spans, before they're purchased.

I just came home from visiting one of my local AD's and coincidently the manufactures rep was there. I asked the same question (he has no axe to grind as Rolex does not sell winders). He said in fact it would be better if it was set on a low number of winds in a good watch winder rather than letting it sit unwound...reason: he said the lubrication could dry out in some spots internally if left unwound too long..but if it was wound gently at all times it would be better for the watch. Well, that's his opinion for what is worth....

I've been told that there is nothing particularly wrong with letting a modern auto wind down. I prefer to have all my watches wound, ready to wear without having to set the time and date whenever I switch out.

On a side note, I just picked up a Rotolution winder. Its super quiet and comletely programmable via PC/Mac. They're priced well ($695 2 winder).

I have never seen one here in the US...!!

In any event, the past weekend a local AD was having a closing sale so I went in. Most of the very good stuff was gone but they still have several watches, non that I had to have. The prices were about 30% of retail. Then I looked in the cabinet to my right and saw a few watch winders for 60% off! So I bought a very good one for one watch which is dust proof, programable, etc. Net cost to me wat a bit over $100! So now I have one if I want to use it. End of my watch winder story. Thanks All...

i got a winder b/c i find resetting a watch bothersome. i found a reasonbly priced winder on ebay that does the job and doesnt make much noise either. now, lets see how long it last before breaking, like the last one i did.....