Sign in to follow this  
timelord

crown tube pushed inside instead of threaded onto case?

I was contemplating on a buying a White gold Oysterquartz from a local but was turned off when he honestly mentioned that the crown tube had not been screwed into case but jammed into case as some previous incompetant watchmaker thought that it was put in like other watch brand such as Seiko that the case tubes are just pushed in. My question is has anyone ever come across to a problem like this and if so, is there anything that can be done about it to replace the crown tube at a future service or is the timepiece not worth bothering with????

thinking.gif

thinking.gif

thinking.gif

I'm not a fan of buying someone elses headaches, however if you're getting a reasonable discount (more than reasonable discount would be better) and you had it authenticated it could work out. That said I'm not a watchmaker and I would rather buy a 100% working piece.

I concur with the gentleman above. Also, if an incompetent watch maker made that silly of a mistake, no telling what other mistakes were made with the watch. Maybe this will bring some clarity to the situation, Say you buy an old muscle car and decide you are going to restore it. You dump a lot of time and money into it, eventually it's a fully restored muscle car and one of the nicest on the streets to boast. (OR) You spend a lot more money, you get a nice ferrari you can drive right off the lot. You see-- Its all about personal opionion. Personally, I like to be able to wear/use my watch the day I get it.

I like the saying buy the seller and not the watch and I praise the seller for being honest. However, my worry is with other Rolex Oyster models that are not new and may have had the same done to them without the knowledge of the seller.

How many of us buy second hand pieces and get them checked out to see if they are genuine or not and even get a quote for a service, only to realise later that the case tube cannot be changed as someone earlier had not screwed it in but pushed it in like other brand watches.

Surely even at Rolex service center when one gets a quote "do they remove the tube when quoting to make sure that there is no damage there by an incompentent person? I wonder what the look at when quoting a service? I have a divers Seiko that has a pushin case tube which is how they are designed.

cheers.gif

I doubt that this type of problem is very common,if anything I don`t think this type of thing has even been seen before.This is the first case I have ever heard of and I don`t expect to see it again.

thinking.gif

as long as not too much of the metal has been disturbed the case can be rethreaded and the correct tube put in but as some others have said who knows what other shortcuts have been made and would be best to walk away or pay substantially less for it and hope for the best. Rikki

My guess as to what happenned is the original tube broke when someone was trying to remove it and left the threads inside the case so when you look in you don't see threads you see a smooth round hole. This happens quite a lot in the extraction of a worn out tube that has been over locktited. You have to use a 6 sided brooch and jam it into the hole to grab what's left of the threads after you heat it up and then slowly unscrew the remaining threads. If they don't all come out you have to retap the threads and clean them up. Rikki

They're many tubes available out there for the thousands of different configurations so finding one and jamming it in isn't unheard of but quite stupid and unprofessional. So as I have said in the past knowledge of a subject like Rolex or any thing, if you are attempting to get involved with get somes books, tech manuals and study the basic construction and get familiar with these things, then in the future make it easier to slam a seller if he's trying to pass on inferior goods, if everyone got schooled up it would put the scammers out of business. I know this is a tall order because the next newest scam is right around the corner, but vigilance is the price we must pay. Ooof sorry got a little preachy there you have a nice day Rikki