Sign in to follow this  
STEELINOX

What do you make of these marks ???

This is from Rani's Sub C picture that I have blown up just a tad.

See the tool marks on the serrations, is this called, 'tool chatter' or is this a vertical cut that was done in steps? Or is this actually "grain" we are seeing in the 904L? What tool (operation) does this cut? Larry (Tools), anybody, Ferris Bueller??

mm.jpg

Looks to me like those notches are cut from a robotic wheel tool of some type versus a die. My guess is those lines are the result of the cutting edge.

It don't think it is the grain of the steel as that would only be visible in the microstructure.

It is funny how I never noticed some details on the watch until I came here

thumbsup.gif

Enclosed are screenshots I just grabbed from Rolex web page. Seemes to me they have these marks on serrations there too and I can find them on my watch as well.

So should this be considered as issue or normal? Can this be found on older Sub models?

Interesting... the post got me curious so I looked at my Sub through a $4 chinese microscope I recently got... the grain is straight an even ... I don't see the "chatter". Here's a crappy iphone pic through the peephole under the harsh scope LED light. Whatever looks uneven is either a reflection or dust.

Unfortunately, I am noticing more and more of these QA slips and lack of attention to detail as of late, mostly on everything I buy (with a few honorable exceptions) ... Montblanc pens being a prime example (misaligned parts, harsh threads, etc... I even got a loose clip on a Starwalker once) ... prices on the other hand continue to go up, so you would expect a bit more care. I am glad I am not the only one that sees this.

Actually you can only see this under specific light conditions and angle of view.

On first and last picture you can see it well. Not on the middle ones.

I made these pics in one session, have a look.

Folks, let me share my experience with RSC Geneva on these marks.

Went to my AD with these marks, she questioned Rolex and they requested the watch to be sent to Geneva RSC.

Fast forward 9weeks I got the watch with no bezel serrations. Just perfect as it should be.

That being said, Rolex is aware these serrations are not normal..

+ there was a little piece of lint under the crystal so its gone too BUT.. now there is a finger smudge under the crystal.

I mean seriously? I am about to

banghead.gif

I hope some of you Rolex guru's here can make my life easier telling me that my AD watchmaker can clean this without sending it to RSC again?

I hope this is the case since there is not AR coating inside.

What do you thing?

Will ask my AD myself tomorrow but your opinion is welcomed.