Sign in to follow this  
Dazza

how to remove

Most watch movements will have a release button near the winding stem. Just give it a push with a solid pin, and the stem should pull right out.

when you re-install the stem, you don't need to push the button again, but I usually do anyway, just to make sure it's not being forced.

If your going to remove the movement, you'll also need to loosen the screw that holds it in place. It is the screw that is on the outer side, and the side cut off. Why are you taking the movement out? Seems a little risky for a beginner. I'm a beginner so I can say that there would have to be a good reason to mess with that watch on a first surgery!

The movement is out now, with the hands off.. The state the watch is in I figured I couldnt do any damage and wanted to have a go myself. The dial is going to be restored, once it comes back will get the movement serviced.

Only sticking point is that I can´´t get one of the screws undone that holds the dial in place, so I am going to buy some new screwdrivers tomorow and have another go.

This is the dial now, which I think is a bit unusual - the watch is 1st quarter 1958. The dial is in pretty shocking condition, but it should look a million dollars when done, I am hoping to have the finished colour slightly yellowed - off white. The watch actually keeps really good time and the case has no real damage.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=849&g2_serialNumber=2

The movement is out now, with the hands off.. The state the watch is in I figured I couldnt do any damage and wanted to have a go myself. The dial is going to be restored, once it comes back will get the movement serviced.

Only sticking point is that I can´´t get one of the screws undone that holds the dial in place, so I am going to buy some new screwdrivers tomorow and have another go.

This is the dial now, which I think is a bit unusual - the watch is 1st quarter 1958. The dial is in pretty shocking condition, but it should look a million dollars when done, I am hoping to have the finished colour slightly yellowed - off white. The watch actually keeps really good time and the case has no real damage.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=849&g2_serialNumber=2

[/quote

Be careful when you use a screwdriver there. I believe there is a special tool for removong that screw. If you dont have it you will scratch tyhe case. Probably no big deal cause no one will see it but you will know it is there.