Sign in to follow this  
trey burgess

Which model is the most durable?

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask a question. I am in the market for a Rolex. I have owned a few in the past, but never paid that close attention which was the most durable. My job and lifestyle requires me to be pretty harsh on watches. Not neglect by any means, just demanding conditions. I would like to ask for assistance in determining which model is the most "rugged". I definitely want sporty, not one that my dad wears...lol

Thanks,

Trey

Unless you're wearing it to the bottom of the ocean, it has to be the Explorer II or Explorer. Same robust movement as others with no pesky rotatable bezels to worry about.

But, in the end, isn't the question sort of like asking which ball is more round? A basketball or a baseball?

i think this is very subjective... 'more durable'? a date could go through just as much as a sub for daily wear. all of these watches have similar, reliable movements. and cosmetically is where differences will arise: a rotating bezel will always have more risk of malfunction than a fixed bezel. that said, it is easier to replace a bezel insert than to replace/repair the exp2's fixed bezel. and brushed ss will appear more resilient to wear than polished ss.

bottom line... don't base your choice on 'durability'. you'll get it no matter which model you choose.

Other than the bezel design and polished vs. brushed, all steel models have comparable toughness.

How durable they will be therefore comes down to how often you end up bashing them around. The bigger the watch the more likely it will be to get bangs and scrapes. Just having more of the same hardness of steel does not help prevent dents and scratches or provide any extra shock protection. So avoid the Deepsea which is more fashion orientated but less comfortable (important for arduous activities) and features very expensive bezel inserts, bracelet, clasp etc. (so is not one to risk damaging).

Also as Larry pointed out the extra weight will also mean extra momentum and therefore a harder hit if dropped (although to be pedantic the acceleration of a falling object is always constant regardless of mass unless affected by aerodynamics - Galileo).

The best watch for you will therefore be the slimmest, smallest and simplest design steel Rolex with a brushed finish and safety clasp. Date and GMT hand make little difference to reliability so I would say the Exp or Exp2 is the logical choice. (Incidentally the fixed steel bezels can be replaced quite cheaply and easily on either - less expense than a bezel + insert for a Sub but slightly more than just the insert). Pick up a nearly new Exp2 and you will also get the best bargain possible in the Rolex sports line-up.