Sign in to follow this  
gshock

JLC Master Geographic - opinions on which version?

Hi,

I've been lurking around on here for a while and have gone many months researching into different timepieces. For many reasons, I'm drawn towards the master geographic model and am considering pulling the trigger. I would buy second hand. What I've come across is I like the current model as well as the previous one in black. The design is different. I'm curious what you guys have to say, I'd like to hear your opinions.

38mm (previous model)

20150828175428_pj5vkufk0mr.jpg

39mm (current model)

20150828175429_f3kkltlo21y.jpg

My take (design-wise only) is that the balance on each is different. On the earlier version (only in black) I particularly like the how the curved logo at the top balances the cities at the bottom. I also prefer the logo in place of the "12". The current version however has a beautiful dial and is more balanced with the sizing of the "reserve de marche", and in my opinion has a more attractive set of hands. As far as movements go, feel free to educate me but I doubt either was a troubled movement. Last but not least there seems to be a 2K price difference between both models on the second hand market. Again, very curious to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums! It's hard to go wrong with a JLC. Both are sharp watches. I prefer the smaller crowns on the newer version. Do you intend this one to be a daily wearer or part of a rotation?

Quick answers :) I am making my first luxury watch purchase so I'm stretching to what I can reasonably afford. I will probably wear it 2 out of 3 days for quite a while. With some hard work and luck, it would eventually be part of a rotation but I doubt I'd ever sell it. The complication is "somewhat" useful for me: I don't need it, but I would actually use it. In terms of looks this watch seems very versatile to me - can be worn with anything, I really like that.

I believe the dial on the older version has a bit more depth because the chapter ring is slightly angled, which to me gives the watch a more casual feel. The new version feels a bit more formal because of its silver color and entirely flat dial. The red accents on the older version also contribute to this distinction.

You didn't mention what your intended use for the watch would be. Both watches could probably be worn daily with smart-casual clothes, but I'd say the older version would be a slightly better choice for that purpose.

I assume you're aware there's a white dial version of the older version? To me, that would be more directly comparable with the latest one and would be my choice if I were to get a Geographic.