Sign in to follow this  
timezinelard

running fast

No. Five seconds per day variation is fine for any auto (or I should say mechanical) watch. I would personally live with + or - up to 10 seconds per day and not be put out by it. If the variation starts to change or gets really uneven or erratic, then yeah it might be cause for concern...

If you are fairly inactive, that might cause it. Most autos/manuals speed up as they reach the end of their power reserve.

The fast rate might be due to positional variations.

I believe your watch was assessed in 6 positions (it sits in each position for ~30 sec and then a ~30 sec measurement occurs): face up, face down, 3 up, 6 up, 9 up, and 12 up. JLC is concerned with the mean (average) rate and the maximum rate minus the minimum rate (called DELTA). If your watch is usually held in a faster position when you're wearing it, you would experience a slightly fast watch. For example, if JLC measures:

POSITION RATE

Face up 0 s/d (perfect)

Face Down 0 s/d (perfect)

9 up +6 s/d

3 up +3 s/d

12 up +2 s/d

6 up +1 s/d

Then, the mean is +2 sec/day and the DELTA is 6 sec/day. So, while the daily mean is recorded by JLC as +2 sec/day, if you mostly stand with your hands down, your watch would usually be in the 9 up position and run at +6sec/day.