Sign in to follow this  
Adams1985

Baby Lotion oil on Ray bezel (by accident)

I accidentally got baby lotion oil on my Ray (playing with my son when he accidentally spilled it). It is not all over the place like a big spill, just maybe 3-4 drops. So I wiped everything off and thought nothing. But at work I moved the click bezel to time something, and when it was previously quite tight it suddenly freed up. Then I remembered the oil, which must have gotten in there and lubricated the whole thing..

20150905195211_sixw2ipuora.gif

Now the question is, not sure I think this is a good or bad thing. Because if the lotion oil got inside like that and 'lubricated' bezel, would this have any effect many years later? ie. mixing with the original oil inside (if any) and/or hardening or anything bad like that? Would the oil seep? (well 200m resistance, yeah right.. but just in case?)

The good thing is, well, it got much easier to turn the bezel..

20150905195211_xvkod23bljx.gif

I wouldn't worry about that.

'Many years later', as you said, you will not even remember the "accident", but your Ray will be still ticking strong. And there will be nothing wrong with the bezel due to the baby oil.

For your peace of mind - rinse it while turning the bezel in lukewarm-to-warm (tap) water once per day for a week.

But then, it may be back on its previous state of stiffness...

If that happens - pour some baby oil on it.

Yeah I'm worried about any dirt. But its a new watch so should be minimal.

My son's 3 years old, and has rough knees (since he's always playing while kneeling) so my wife applies that on his knees all the time. Not what you think :)

Thanks for all the replies, I will keep it this way for now, maybe until the next time I want to clean the watch.

Leave it. It's an improvement. I quit wearing my Ray because the bezel was impossible to turn due to the stiffness and the design, which leaves little room for gripping with your fingers. I sprayed some gun lubricant under the bezel and now it is buttah. Still a poor design--little for the fingers to grip, but once I turn it a few clicks, it glides very smoothly.

something that i would try, use some dawn soap and work up some bubbles and quickly wash under some water. dont pour the soap directly on the watch. that could help remove some oil.

edit: just do what obzerver said

Here's an update for everyone who responded (and those who are thinking of trying).

The baby lotion dries, and leaves a 'cake' of dried oil in the bezel. I didn't open it up to discover this, but rather there was some oil that got under the watch that I saw when I took it off. And so this will probably trap dirt and all the crap going inside it. So I can just imagine this happening inside the click mechanism.

Also, this is the second day, the bezel was not longer so loose (as if there was never oil in there).

So, don't do it, not worth it. IF you want to, try it with motor oil or some other thing that never dries up like baby lotion. But I am not held responsible if you damage your watch..