Sign in to follow this  
uLh2see

Orient Star Retrograde - Oh, my!

This watch is gorgeous! I bought the Orient Masquerade last week for fun and after seeing what $150 can buy, I took a closer look at the Star series. The Star Retrograde captured my eye, and I found a good deal from discountwatchstore.com. I got it this afternoon and had it sized right after work. All I can say is Wow! This is a serious watch and easily fits in with the top watches in my collection. First thing I did was set the time and day/date. The gears are buttery smooth, and I like the hacking. Handwinding and hacking on an automatic watch is a nice touch. I wound it a little by hand to get it going, and noticed that after I sized it and wore it for about an hour, it was fully wound. Very efficient winding! The cream-colored dial is beautiful, and the bracelet fits the style nicely (though I still need to have another link removed). Finishing on the back is nice, and seems to be the equal to some of my standard ETA and Valjoux watches (Mido and Epos). Of course, I can't comment on accuracy, and to be honest, I don't really worry about it that much. As long as they keep accurate time through a couple of days, I'm fine. I usually rotate watches throughout the week, so setting the watch when I put it on doesn't really bother me. Still I'll keep an eye on it out of curiosity.

I only have a couple of nits to pick. The lume on the hands are nearly of equal length. If I had no idea of the time, and it was dark (and I was relying on the lume), I would have to pay close attention to tell the difference between the hour and minute hand. The lume on the hour markers is faint, but enough. Again, this is not something I really care about, but just noticed it. In good light, the hands are very nice, and the contrasting polished/matte finish on each side of the hands helps them stand out.

My only other minor nit is that the watch is fairly tall. Not that big of a deal, but if you wear your cuffs tight, you might have a problem. Again, this is not really a problem for me and the watch wears fine otherwise.

So, enough blabbering. Here are the obligatory pictures.

20150905195210_m3cfrsdljnv.jpg

20150905195211_o43l3b4drlf.jpg

20150905195212_hgcxtpqie44.jpg

20150905195213_w1tm5kvnfvj.jpg

20150905195215_ob4xmhfcd2c.jpg

20150905195216_tcf0isy0xpk.jpg

20150905195218_43ohvg3c0iq.jpg

20150905195219_bnxdxe5smy1.jpg

I was also going from a Zenith Elite hand wind (definitely my thinnest watch) to this one, so just the unconscious comparison makes the Orient seem even taller. I have several other chronographs and I wonder how it compares to those. I'll have to do the numbers. I know my Epos is a triple date/moonphase/chrono (Valjoux 7751) and by the time they add all those functions that watch stands pretty tall as well. Still, this Orient is gorgeous and I'm going to enjoy this one for a long while.

Actually, forget what I said. I think the CWC chrono that it wear all the time is about 14mm thick, and it's just about perfect for me. Mind you, the crystal has quite a 'dome' on it...

CWC - Junghans Max Bill - Seiko - Longines - Cartier