Sign in to follow this  
YyffM74

1st Orient & 1st Post

Yea! It finally arrived! After what seemed like the longestthree days of my life I have finally received my Blue Ray. Thank you LongIsland Watch for the fast service and for having one in stock.

This being my first post on this site I would like to thankall the other posters, past and present whose passion and pictures led me toOrient in the first place. I found WUS while searching for a discontinuedCitizen BT0000-58A a few weeks back and have hand more fun reading.

Im a self proclaimed watch nut who, in my 46 years hasnever run into another, I never imagined a site like this existed, or would beso heavily populated with like minded folk. I have never asked a question, butI have gained such great advice and wisdom. In the last couple of weeks I havelearned more about movements, brands and bands than I have ever known. Thankyou for sharing.

A day on the wrist and I am in love with this watch. I hadonly run across Orient watches in the brands list of a couple of shoppingsites. Never heard of the brand and was not interested, but after reading aboutthem here, and looking at a seemingly endless posting of lovely pictures ofOrients (someone named Kew or Nathan with an Australian flag at the bottomof his posts), I had to see what the fuss was about. (That thread, by the way, Ibelieve was called OMG! Show me an Orient that is NOT a Mako or similar) Inow know what the fuss is about.

What a great watch and only $145. This blue dial is beautiful.Something that no picture has apparently been able to adequately capture and mustbeen seen in the steel. I feel after having obsessively drooled over enoughpictures and unwrapping videos off YouTube in the last three days, waiting formy Ray to arrive, I can say that with some confidence. Why Orient has not putthis same shimmer into the orange color is beyond me.

I believe this watch has sated my need, for the momentanyway. I do however find what one gentleman said in another Orient thread inreply to an inquiry, Careful, they are like potato chips, to be very true. Ijust got my Ray yesterday and I already crave another Orient. (damn you kew and your lovely photos! I have been caught leering at them enoughtimes now that my partner would rather I be looking at barnyard animal ....)

I look forward to becoming more active in this fabulouscommunity of kindred spirits.

Thanks again to everyone for the weeks of enjoyable readingand for leading me to such a great new brand to covet.

Its a watershed moment for me today! Not only have I finally found out how to use the cloud for photo streaming from my phone to my computer, I have learned to compress images, etc. in order to get the things small enough to upload. It took me a while to even find the button to add an image. Sometimes it takes a rolled up newspaper to teach an old dog new tricks rather than a treat and a clicker.

For you, BrianL, and thank you for motivating me to do this in the first place, else how would I have learned.

20150905195311_l3bu1z1xfov.jpg

Welcome and congratulations ollieVR a very nice ray for your 1st orient

20150905195311_dtn0q2ck44f.gif

. You have made a good choice there and well done with the pic I was just the same I had trouble with the words and symbols everybody seems to know what they mean so I asked here and everybody is helpful. Hope to see more pic's sometime . Cheers .DW.

The more I wear this watch, the more I like it. It's keeping great time, as far as I can tell, using one of my Citizens as a baseline. I am a little OCD (perhaps it comes with the territory) so the inability to "hack" it (thank you WUS for teaching me that term) is a little frustrating. I have always gotten a sense of satisfaction by synchronizing my watches with the atomic clock and the inability to do that here kind of "ticks" me a bit. Guess I will have to focus on the act of being certain the minute hand is on the mark when the second hand glides by 12, to satisfy that itch. But after a few days it is still close enough to make me happy.

It is a joy to watch the little, red tip on its way around the deep, blue dial. One thing I'm loving about automatics is the glide of the second hand. I admit to having owned only quartz, a recent Kenneth Cole and Invicta being the exception, and consider it a defect if the second hand does not stop exactly dead center on whatever marker there may be. (OCD again?) I hate having to return a watch after waiting for its arrival, for what is probably something most people do not even notice, but it drives me nuts. (add another + to the automatic movement column) The watch face itself is something I find myself continuously staring at. To my unmagnified eye, every detail is perfect, down to the little ring of silver around each marker. Everything glints and gleems in unison without a waiver, something I cannot say for my Invicta, which flashes and sparkles like crystals with a dob of lume in the middle. I just love that in a watch.

I'm actually becoming quite attracted to all the details on the faces of some other Orients I've seen around here. Perhaps it was the Citizen BT0000-58A that started me along this path, but I have never been one for a fussy face. One of the things I loved about the original Swatch watches were the bold colors and featureless face, containing onl Swatch and Swiss Made. Never did have to worry about the second hand being aligned. But the attention to the pattern and texture that is paid, on some of these, is really quite beautiful.

After five Citizens I was ready for another brand and I think that I have found it. The Citizen Eco-Drive movement and its need of light gave me a sense of interaction with my watch. It needed me to wear it and ensure exposure to light in order to run, and I really like that. I had wanted to try an automatic, as the mecanical nature of the movement appeals to me, and I'm finding that same feeling of symbiotic connection. With their reported and now personally experienced quality and precision, Orient might just be the affordable, automatic brand for me. (still covets a Grand Seiko Spring Drive as the ultimate dream watch)

I highly recommend this watch to anyone, as well as Long Island Watch as a place to make a purchase of any timepiece. You will not be disappointed.