Sign in to follow this  
cyder222

Seiko SNK393: it deserves more praise !

Well,

I ordered this Seiko 5 SNK393 from S3 on Global Rakuten on July 19th of this year, mainly out of curiosity, because I thought it looked nice and because it was "not very expensive" (I paid about 45 euro, shipping included ..).

It took a while to arrive, and at first, when unpacking it, I was underwhelmed; I found it was a bit too small; I presented it to my wife, my daughter and one of my sons, and none of them were interested.

Since 45 euro it's not worth the hassle of returning it, after a few days I decided to adapt the bracelet to my wristsize an try it anyway (I mentioned that in a tread in the affordables forum on Sunday 9th of August.

Since then, I only took it of for shower and shaving, wearing it day and night.

After a week, I came to the conclusion I like it more and more !

I like how the dial shows a shade of gray (or better: "lesser black) around the center, that disappears completely when looking from a different angle ...

I like the lume: plenty to go through the night (I usually wake up around 4.30 a.m., check the time and go to sleep again; I could check the time easily; even the seconds hand has lume ...

I like the fact that the date window is white on black, is nicely outlined in white, surrounded in metal. I MIGHT prefer not having the day and just the date, but I can live with that

20150908194449_okbag3zclij.gif

I like the simple, straight hands, the minutes hand being a bit thinner ...

I like the very decent bracelet (no rattling, easy to adjust, although with a system I hadn't seen before) ..

I got used to the small size, but I think I still prefer my watches a tad bigger.

AND

I LOVE HOW IT KEEPS TIME !

It can't hack, but by turning the minutes hand counterclockwise, the seconds hand stops, and by keeping the tension on it and with some practice, you can keep it where you want to synchronize it. That's what I did a week ago, synchronizing with my Casio G-Shock 7900 after that one radio-synchronized itself (as it does every day), and since then, I haven't reset the Seiko, but I did check each day how it was doing ..

After a week, it gained ABOUT 4 seconds ! I have many and MUCH more expensive watches that do worse than that! I guess I got lucky with this little guy

20150908194449_sgl4ewsr0wr.gif

Here's are some pictures I took this morning after synchronizing the time on my Samsung S5, thus showing the exact time the pictures were taken in the file name. The pictures also show the way the dial changes when looking from a different angle, the bracelet, the date window, etc ..;

In short: I started liking this watch very much in just a week time

20150908194450_0xmla3pkvms.gif

20150908194450_bsbamvrezcu.gif

. I also started respecting it a lot more; I bought it as kind of a "beater", but now, that's not how I'm going to take care of it.

Filename: 2015-08-10 10.08.51

20150908194452_j0lo4phcpwm.jpg

Filename: 2015-08-10 10.09.22

20150908194456_i2dzn2llqjw.jpg

Stefan.

I have its sibling the snk391 with brownish sunburst dial. It's great. I do wish the crown were in the normal position but oh well. I bought a SARB033 thinking for sure I'd like that better and I prefer the snk391. It's just brighter and more visually interesting with the reflective sunburst dial. I'm thinking of getting this one and possibly swapping out the black datewheel for mine. Mine also keeps great time at around 2 seconds per day. It is a fantastic, low key watch for a great price.

Congratulations on a lovely looking watch. VFM wise you can't really fail. (found the Euro key on my little keyboard but not how to make it work - the watch was a great buy all the same)

Interesting: I like watches with a brown dial, and this one is mostly depicted and described with a black dial. How do I find one with a brown dial ?

(Edit: never mind my question, I already figured it out).

Stefan

I had the exterior cleaned and buffed, but the watchsmith recommended against servicing unless it wasnt keeping time. It doesn't get much wrist time (it's had long sabbaticals), but still looks as good as it did when I bought it.