watchjanek

Spend My Money: Wanting 1 Fun Seiko & A "Vacation Pair" (1 Diver, 1 Dress)

The title says it all. I love Seiko from a product and a company standpoint, and want a few more in the watch box. I particularly love unique case shapes and/or high level case finishing. I'm specifically looking for...

A fun diver with some personality and real Seiko flare to shake up the watch box. The SRP637 tuna monster is the early front runner for me but I know there are a lot of options out there. For me this should be the more pricey part of the equation and no case size or shape is off limits. I just want something with some real character.

A pair of "vacation Seiko watches"--one diver in the 40-42mm range on a bracelet and one dressier option in the 37-40mm range that would look good on a brown or black leather strap to go with navy, gray or black suits (if good bracelet options are included or available that's a plus too). These two will be mainly for vacation purposes which are typically to the beach or tropical spots. I don't want to have to worry about them or babysit them while I'm trying to have fun with my wife and daughter, so I want to keep the cost lower here while maintaining watches with character. Obvious choices are an SKX007 or 009 on an aftermarket SEL bracelet paired with a SARB033 or SARB035 for dinners and the like.

Those are my requirements and thoughts thus far. I'm sure I'm missing a LOT of Seiko models that would fit with my budget range though, especially since it's relatively flexible, and would love to hear other thoughts.

And speaking of budget, I don't have a hard monetary limit but would prefer to stick around the $1k mark for all three (although I could stretch that a lot for the right piece).

My current collection is an Omega Speedy Pro, an Omega Planet Ocean 2500 cal, a 6309 Seiko turtle case diver dating to May 1983 per the serial number which is my birth month and birth year, a vintage 1964 Longines 30L dress watch that I bought from a gentleman in Italy named Alex (my wife's name is the same and she comes from Italian heritage so I thought the coincidence pretty cool), a handful of G-Shocks/Casios and I'll be adding a red Tudor Black Bay on bracelet any day now. These Seikos I'll be adding--particularly the two vacation watches--will gain their sentimentality to me through the memories I'll create with my family while wearing them, so I'm putting some thought into the purchases before jumping the gun on anything. Thanks so much for any help.

I recommend the Darth Tuna for a fun watch with loads of personality and any of the aforementioned SARB watches (highly recommend the SARB065 "Cocktail" Time) for dressier occasions. The Darth is incredibly well-finished, its bold and surprisingly wears well despite its case dimensions.

If case size is a concern, any of the 300m Tunas wear more like 42mm watches. The new "Blue Fin" Tuna SBBN037 sparkles with personality.

A great fun driver is a good homage to the 6105. Consider a Typhoon II or TF PRS88. A Monster is not bad either. For a guy with two Omega's, the Typhoon is an inexpensive watch you don't have to baby, and it's not a "real" classic like your turtle. For a dress watch that's "fun", I'm beginning to like blue faces. The Squale 1521 is a nice one.

Ottovon, the Cocktail Time is the other choice that popped into my head. I'm just not sure how I feel about 40mm. It's at the upper end for a dress watch for me. I had an Orient Bambino previously and at 40mm with the domed crystal it was a tight fit under a cuff. It is a beautiful piece though.

nepatriot, good stuff. I'll look into both of those (and I'm a big fan of the Squale 1521, they really nailed the perfect shade of blue).

You pretty much nailed the perfect value combo of SKX007/9 and a SARB033/5. One suggestion from my own experience is the SARB017. With 200WR it can handle swimming or other water activities, and can transition well into a more formal setting. It is a sports watch to be sure, and not something a traditionalist would wear with a tuxedo, but it works perfectly with a sport coat or button down. The sapphire crystal will also handle any sand that might get in it during your trips.

I'm going to echo Ottovonn here. For a fun and unique diver, nothing beats a Tuna. I'd even second the Darth vote, but the 300m Tunas will suffice. And to help stay in budget, (well, at least close to the budget) I'd argue that the Tuna can fill the role of both the fun diver and vacation diver. My Darth goes everywhere with me, and it's my vacation watch of choice.

Edit: If it's going to be 3 new watches, the SXK series is of course a great option. I'll throw out another idea, simply because I've fallen for the look of these and want to get one next time I get the itch to buy something. A little off the beaten path, but should work well for a beach watch, the SNZH53.

seikosnzh57k_zps187adcf9.jpg

There's a recent thread over on the diver forum on blue's. There are a lot of choices. I know you have other watches besides Seiko, so your horizons are broad. There are many here who only own Seiko's. IMHO, you only need 1 or maybe 2 Seiko's, and you have some already. I've owned and flipped many Seiko's over the years. My only Seiko now is a SARB017; figured I'd grab one of those before Seiko shoots themselves in their other foot and discontinues that one. My favorites were the Shogun and SARB059. Seiko had some great divers, mid range in cost, quartz and auto, but have discontinued just about all of them. All they have left is the entry level SKX's, Monsters, Tuna styles, that monstrosity, the Sumo, the Shogun, and the MM300. I think they discontinued he solar silver, and the Gray Ghost. The BFK is still around .... now that's a killer fun beater!

There are so many other options out there now, and with the strong dollar, anyplace where you can get the exchange rate makes for many bargains now.

I think the Cocktail Time and the Baby Grand are the obvious choices for dress--and I've been fixated on the Seiko Snowflake for ages--so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the SARB035 and it'll love on a honey or black alligator strap 90% of the time depending on what I'm wearing it with.

And for a vacation diver the cheapest option possible makes sense in case it gets ruined or destroyed, so I went ahead and jumped on a SKX007 too along with a Strapcode Endmill 22/18 bracelet with ratcheting clasp.

Now it's just zeroing in on a fun watch with some personality. Call it crazy but I didn't want anything too big for a vacation watch just for comfort and also so I don't get a weird tan line on my wrist from a 46mm case. But it would be great to have something to mix up the rotation during the week hence the fun watch want. I do like the SNZH, particularly in modified Fifty Five Fathoms style. That's a consideration as well alongside the Tuna Monster and other Tuna offerings.