Sign in to follow this  
Eva333

ZIM - How does this one look?

I feel like a pest, but you all keep being so damn helpful!

I will at least post the pics the proper way this time instead of linking to ebay or imgur. :) Btw, any trick to uploading more than one pic at a time?

I'm just in love with this dial, but it seems almost in too good of shape for 60 dollars. The dial has to have been repainted though, doesn't it? (if so, it's pretty impressive work, context aside.) I dunno, seems like my instincts are terrible with this stuff.

UPDATE 1: I found another occurrence of this model. An export version I suppose. Pretty similar to my untrained eye.

UPDATE 2: Well, I couldn't resist any longer and got it. I figured someone would have jumped on this by now if it were an obvious fake. The seller has a 14-day return policy and confirmed in a message it was original. So, I will return it if it's revealed to be something other than I want. I just love that dial and, if it's alright, it seemed like it would be an awesome way to end my little watch spending spree I went on recently with part of a bonus sorta thing I got a work. (Ha, here is probably the only place I don't have to explain that I set aside some of it for my watch collection.) Once more things from Russia eventually arrive, I'll do a post a thread of my russian watches.

20150918182324_2vhvgdrygqf.JPG

20150918182326_jgj2yhoesok.JPG

20150918182328_dvko3zddtds.JPG

20150918182330_nwhljhuasnb.JPG

20150918182332_4yik1rfl51q.JPG

20150918182334_4eylrqjbmuk.JPG

The dial looks completely authentic and unrestored to me. Furthermore, Yavor (sitalk) is a top-notch seller with excellent communication. If there are any issues at all, he has a reputation of always resolving them promptly and effectively. The price seems a little high to me, but at least you can be confident in what you purchased.

Looking forward to your upcoming thread :)

Woo! Glad to hear that. I got a good impression of the seller which was why I didn't feel like bartering over a few quid.

I really do have quite a few Russian watches now. It will be fun to show them off... even those that aren't so great. Speaking of those and since I don't think I've shown any of my current watches here.....

20150918182336_1iavz2jjyp4.JPG

This is my little blue Vostok I picked up for £20 and didn't notice the dial was just a teeny bit crooked. Duh. I didn't wear it for a while cos I was annoyed with myself. Finally I wore it a bit... and realized I really, really like it. It's probably not too hard to straighten out, and even if not, it's not that obvious. Probably other stuff isn't right as well, but the little thing keeps great time. Maybe I should just STFU and enjoy it. Eh, glad to be done buying for a while. It's stressy.

Just to be sure I get it right.... is this indicated by:

a) that the links look thick/deep

b) that the lines are straight instead of circular

c) all of the above

d) none of the above

e) something else...

To me, it just looks boring, plain, and factory-produced. The finish is poor, there are no polished or beveled edges -- it just looks like something that was made as cheaply as possible. Compare the two movements below and see if you can tell which one has a better-finished movement:

20150918182339_5jecmtxlydr.jpg

Clearer? ;)

Yay, a quiz! Wow, makes a big difference when they are next to each other.. a lot more care was put into the one on the right even though the "grooves" have those stripe patterns. Seems like most of the "SU" marked ones don't look that great.

What do you think of this one, it's kind of in between those...

20150918182343_e2j4c5j44br.jpg

In between is exactly right. That movement falls chronologically between the other two I posted.

In general, you'll notice that the finish quality on Soviet movements decreases with time. That movement you posted above, a Pobeda ZIM from 1955, was produced after the beautifully-finished 1947 Salut on the right, but before the crappily-finished "SU" Molnija on the left. It's not a hard and fast rule, but to overgeneralize, earlier movements were more polished and highly-decorated, and by the 1970s and onward (which is also when the "SU" logo came about), things were beginning to look pretty boring and cheap.

Nice! Maybe I am getting better and I did get what I expected out of this little £18 pobeda I picked up, what you described is exactly what it is supposed to be. (pretty impressive on your part!) hopefully this is a link to my post in the "is this a franken?" thread.