Sign in to follow this  
Hann

Good books or other resources relevant to Russian/Soviet watch collecting?

I'm interested in both identification and history. English if there is much text involved. This Russian Wristwatches one by Levenburg is the only one I've found. Is it good?

Also, how acceptable is it to post links to watches on ebay or chrono24 inquiring about their authenticity? It seems ok, but I can see how it would be kind of annoying... maybe a matter of making an effort to contribute something besides that?

I just ordered this one a few days ago after a fair amount of research. Just be aware that it was originally printed in German and later reprinted in English, so make sure you get the one you can understand

20150918184312_032pzfqi13t.gif

Here is the link to the one I purchased, but it seems I bought the last "NEW" copy. There are still many used ones available.

Fascination of Russian Watches: From the Military Watch to the Marine Chronometer by Ceyp, Michael - 1990-01-01 - from Ebooksweb COM LLC and Biblio.com

I also bought the one you mentioned by Levenburg, you can never have enough research material

20150918184312_4oucimlcdnu.gif

Cheers

I found that book to be an excellent visual resource, but some of the text was less than accurate. For example, before I knew much about Russian watches it was still easy to see the errors in some of the movement designations stated by Levenburg, just because they were not consistent from one page to the next.

It is acceptable. We can all learn from discussions about authenticity.