Sign in to follow this  
frodostar

UTTERLY SHOCKING!!!

Guys, I am afraid I have to break some unpleasant news for all us vintage lovers and NOS fetishists! There is a new wave of cheap good looking new dials inundating the market: You'll be surprised at the prices, LESS THAN 10 US$!!! I will just let you view the picture. You might want to have a second look at some of your recent lucky purchases of NOS or pristine watches...

20150918184653_5dbbxb2swxd.jpg

20150918184658_ptauu3cjgp0.jpg

20150918184703_v00jkdaozua.jpg

20150918184707_qjn4e4v5mub.jpg

20150918184712_nxdmaeb0abp.jpg

20150918184715_n3dm2q0mvfp.jpg

20150918184722_evwi3xvu254.jpg

20150918184726_wolbdhq4i2r.jpg

Yes, these are absolutely brilliant replicas, not only printed but with nice applications, colours, and so on. And guess what? i think this is just the tip of the iceberg. Newbies will buy exaggeratedly expensive watches with replaced replica dials, the prices of cheap battered watches will explode, given the profit that one can make, you will now have to permanently filter thoroughly through myriads of too-good-to-be-true offers, screen even reputable sellers. A mayhem, I think. Bœllœcks!

Easy to spot when naked, yet not at all inside a used case and a scratched crystal. And you know how much people pay for the rarity of nice dials. A 10 dollar watch can turn into a 150 dollar rarity.

Also, rub a cloth on a black pencil and tap some graphite onto the dial and it looks just slightly dirty, yet easily cleanable. And valuable. I can tell you that the back of the dials present no traces of glue for the index feet, as it used to be with fake Strela.

If this was a vintage car forum, we would be delighted to see such an abundance of obscure parts become available to enable us to keep our old clunkers on the road. When I needed to get the front panel of my Triumph Mk 1 entirely replaced, I did not inquire about whether the replacement was original or a reproduction.

But with watches, it's different...

20150918184726_k0qd1q4wjnu.gif

20150918184726_wjiz0v5dve4.gif

I absolutely agree, with you Kirill. The problem is that sellers want to sell rotten vegetables as fresh fruits. Lying about occurred replacements to make the object dearer. How often do they "ignore" incongruous parts, and sell everything as original? It has to do with the commercial platform eBay too, which does not care about fakes, buyer and seller complaints, as long as they cash in on any sale.

As far as cars are concerned Chascomm, these are considerably larger wearable items: we sit in them and need them to be as safe as originally, as efficient as back then, as watertight as possible, as rust-proof as they used to be. They must fulfill even more rules for the lawmakers to allow them even leaving our garage, than they originally had to. They must cope with new fuel types, and must obviously impress the public. One can shine polish his whole car but cannot leave the hood fully rusty or the tires all cracked. The repairs and replacements parts are openly accepted, praised, and advertised, because it is an added value, whereas it sounds like a subtracted value for wristwatches.

By the way, automobile clock... need to be original when exposed in our exhibition cupboard, yet need only to look good when installed in our vintage cars!