Sign in to follow this  
Oscar

Advice adjusting shark mesh

Does anyone know the best way to shorten one of the thick shark mesh straps? I've used the micro adjusters near the clasp but still too big. I take it it involves sawing off some of the mesh? Sorry to post here but couldn't find a thread.

I did the same. If you don't have a Dremel, you might try using plier-type wire cutters, but I would suggest cutting one link at a time. If you try to cut several links at once, I think you could end up damaging the strap.

I use a pair of side cutters and snip and remove one ring at a time. After I take off a row, I try the watch and bracelet to see how much more I need to remove and from which side. I also remove the clasp and cut from those ends. The clasp will cover up any small marks you may accidentally make on your final ends when you put it back on, versus having the marks visible by the lugs of the watch case.

Use a pair of compound snips and do it in ten minutes. Take one row off at a time - one link at a time and from the clasp end as its easier to hide any twisted ones. It was my first time to tackle a stainless steel shark mesh but it was easy. A Dremel takes too long.

20150918191709_dkvpyc2tgwj.jpg

Cheers guys. I borrowed some of those from one of the technicians at work. Got home, couldn't find one side of the strap I'd removed yesterday, completely lost, God knows where......had to order a new one! This is just my luck recently.

So Astute, after all that advice you lost half the bracelet?.......hahaha........priceless. For everything else there's Mastercard.

About the sizes - the Chinese supplier on eBay from whom I purchased had three different lengths small, medium and long. I need a long because I have a 225mm wrist which means that mostly I have to use after-market XL straps. The exception was my 060 Amphibia which had a metal bracelet that was too long! Those locals must be built like bears.

This is the sort of thing I mean: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-18-20-...532&rmvSB=true

Thanks for the advice guys. Thought I'd post the results here after ordering my second strap.

20150918191711_gpnsvx4xbhf.jpg

20150918191712_0shwl2qsany.jpg

And the tools of the trade. One pair of compound snippers, one pair of safety goggles for those flying links, one cow hide glove for extra purchase on those snippers!

20150918191713_lltozzmmrbo.jpg