Sign in to follow this  
bbt

Incoming Soviet Amphibia - Curious About Authenticity

Hello fellow Russian watch aficionados,

I know, it' s probably too late since I pulled the trigger already but I was wondering if those more knowledgable than me can tell me if this watch is all original. It's supposed to be from the 1970's and it looks good to me but would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this. The photos are from the seller.

Thanks!

Jon

20150918191742_ye1wf5qqyq3.JPG

20150918191744_jbedkgxqp3p.JPG

20150918191745_y4x4dcu2eyg.JPG

20150918191746_pkqwisl3cuu.JPG

20150918191748_czyn0mfohtu.JPG

A Nice watch, I would suggest that the caseback is as already discussed incorrect, the seconds hand is correct, the minute hand is from a Komandirskie as the lume gap is to narrow and not sure on the hour hand, but it has the arrow which is correct, the crown is Komandirskie as well.

Enjoy, Regards Matt

The seconds hands didn't always get painted. The other hands look correct although they were maybe relumed because of their whiteness. The caseback may still be correct but I'm less knowledgeable, however the crown is definitely not original.

The hour and minute hands are recent Amphibia production versions and not proper to the watch. I have a set that came in recently from Meranom that look exactly like it. The clue is the lume gap. Old hands have a larger lume gap on both the Amphibia and the

Komandirskie.

The second hand just looks worn, as if salvaged from a damaged watch, but not sure if correct or not as I have not examined those for variances yet.

Thanks for all of the good insights, gentlemen! I guess it's a good thing that 100% authenticity wasn't my goal. I was hoping to get a nice vintage piece that I can enjoy. Would have been better if it was all original, but not the end of the world.