Sign in to follow this  
xxxptm

Guess what happened to my watch!

I moved recently to a new townhouse in the Newark, DE, USA area. I was shifting boxes from storage to house, so I started wearing a vintage Soviet era Amphibian watch. It had a NATO strap which got quite sweaty,and I could wash it every day. Well, the other day I started assembling furniture using a battery operated screw driver and a drill. Guess what? The watch started to gain a hour a day! Seems that the tools emitted a magnetic field that affected the watch. Anyone experience this same problem using power tools? What do I do next? I really like this watch.

Sounds familiar. The hairspring may have been magnetized. Either take it to a watchmaker or decent jeweler and ask them to demagnetize it, or buy a demagnetizer on eBay or similar and do it yourself.

Buying your own will likely be less expensive and you can DIY in the future. I got a demagnetizer for $8 but it came with another countries plug, the seller's remedy was to refund the purchase and asked me to keep the unit.

Replacing the power cord took a Philips head screwdriver, a set of sidecut dikes, plastic electrical tape, a soldering iron and some solder (other connection solutions may work but soldering is best). Five minutes later I had a working demagnetizer.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

I think it is very, very unlikely that your power tools magnetized the watch. Battery-operated tools may produce a net magnetic field, but it's not likely to be strong enough to significantly affect a watch. Mains-operated tools may also produce a field, but it'll alternate at 50Hz (or 60Hz, depending on your country) and is also unlikely to have any effect on a watch.

I am not as experienced as other here on the forum so I did not dare to comment on this case before other have been answering but my first thought was that the drill did not cause it but either vibrations or a bump. Now it looks like at least a few other got the same opinion as me.

I somehow suspect a bump or some vibration has moved the handle for regulating the watch.

UPDATE: I really appreciate all the comments. Guess what? Several days ago I decided to set the watch, give it a good wind, and wear it. It is now keeping good time, and I continue to wear it while moving boxes from storage to my new residence. So, what ever happened to cause it to run very fast, I am not sure it was magnetized. All is well that ends well!