Sign in to follow this  
Densy

Thoughts about a watch

Good (part of the) day Comrades.

Please beg my pardons if the subject had been discussed in the past.

Considering buying the watch pictured below.

It combines my favorite Aviator stile with my even more favorite 24 h. dial. It is hard to resist.

But something comes to my mind and stops from pulling the trigger.

It is advertised by its Ukrainian seller as Raketa Aviator. But the movement is 2609, while the Raketas 24h. use 2623 movements. What kind of movement is it and is it reliable enough? How original is this watch - is it a franken, made in someones basement in Donetzk with parts stolen from different factories during the Perestroyka; or a legit watch? Unfortunately this watch reminds me very much the cheap tourist ones that are flooding Ebay and the such in the last few years.

Any thoughts?

20150918193324_ladeyulcite.JPG

There are a number of threads around about the 2609 being used in 24-hour watches. I'm sorry I can't find them right now.

The theory was that they were frankens, but considering how much modification it takes, if they were franken, someone was really dedicated to doing it.

I was going to say that the hands look wrong on this watch (the specimens I've seen before all have flieger-style sword hands). But then I came acreoss this thread:

Suggestions for first 24 hour watch?

So maybe this one is original. I guess I don't know, and will hope someone with more knowledge will come along and help out.

Probably the parts were bought on the open market rather than stolen, but you should be aware that legitimate 'Aviator', 'Poljot Aviator' and 'Poljot Russian Aviator' watches were products from the 1st Moscow Watch Factory and therefore do not use Raketa movements. The exact source of these recent Raketa-powered reproductions is unknown (my guess is somewhere in Moscow where most of the parts could be sourced) but there has been some discussion of them on this forum. And you are correct that '2609' is not a correct designation for a 24 hour movement so this is a 12 hour movement that has been modified. It is quite a common modification.

Thanks Gents.

And looking at the picture now I just noticed that the seconds hand is exactly as the one used in Vostok Komandirskie (one is on my wrist while typing). Is it common for different makes to share same parts, if at all?