Sign in to follow this  
TGUIL

any info on this soviet (зим) wristwatch?

hello,

so a few days ago i bought my first vintage watch after watching a few 'ratfaced git' videos on youtube.

this is also my first mechanical watch but i've just fallen in love with how they look, work and sound

20150918193531_jzn3jgcrouf.gif

(which is probably the same thing that draws me to buying vinyl records rather than other formats).

i paid £15 for the watch below which the seller had marked as being from between 1977 to 1983. for info the movement reads '15910)

please can anyone help me with the questions below?

is "зим" the name of the brand or the movement?is it really from the late 1970s as described?what kind of products or cloths can i use to polish the case, bearing in mind i don't know which metal it's made from?is £15 a good price to pay for this kind of watch?the glass is slanted/at an angle; is this due to it being rubbed down to repair scratches or will i be able to open up the watch and re-sit the glass so it's straight?[/ol]

20150918193533_u2hwlcrv0np.jpg

20150918193535_1q3ln2ekdd0.jpg

20150918193538_p4mrmdkychj.jpg

apologies for all the questions

20150918193538_apo1umuix0u.gif

I'll take a stab at it....and wait for the pros to correct me.

1. Is "зим" the name of the brand or the movement

Both. ЗИМ = ZIM = Zavod Imeni Maslennikova = Watch Factory Maslenikov. The factory produced its own movements.

2. Is it really from the late 1970s as described?

Probably, but I don't know for sure.

3. What kind of products or cloths can i use to polish the case, bearing in mind i don't know which metal it's made from?

It looks to be chromed. You could shine up the chrome that is still there, but never replace the areas where it's lost. You would need to re-chrome the entire case.

4. Is £15 a good price to pay for this kind of watch?

I would say that's a good price. In general, these watches aren't that coveted, but this does seem to be a nice example. Value judgments are difficult to make unless you're the one making them! If you think it's worth £15, then it is :)

5. The glass is slanted/at an angle; is this due to it being rubbed down to repair scratches or will i be able to open up the watch and re-sit the glass so it's straight?

Hard to say...can you post a photo from the side profile? It may not be firmly secured into the bezel, in which case it would be easy to resit the crystal properly. But if it is deformed, you're probably better off living with it or getting a replacement crystal.

Hope that helps!

brilliant, thanks mroatman

20150918193531_jzn3jgcrouf.gif

that's exactly the kind of answer i need, and a great welcome to this forum. here's the side profile;

20150918193556_bcuu3yakcdb.JPG

20150918193607_poh3wgveeyg.JPG

20150918193617_1ra2qmcvhs1.JPG

i would check whether the crystal can just be resat but since i've never done anything with a watch besides replace a strap i'm a bit reluctant to open it up. if it's deformed i'll just leave it be since i can't imagine crystals for this watch will be easy to come by.

Hello and welcome to the forums! I'm sorry, I failed to notice you were new :)

I see what you mean about the crystal, but it just looks like it's not properly seated. I don't think the crystal is deformed. This should be easy to fix.

Try pressing on that raised area to see if it will pop into place. You can press pretty hard without doing any damage. Or you might try pressing the entire watch between your palms with firm pressure to see if that will snap it back into place. Hopefully that would fix the issue. Otherwise, there are two options.

You could remove the bezel (with crystal attached) by inserting a small, thin blade (a pairing knife should be fine) into the tiny slot shown here in your photo:

20150918193640_tjj2lgpbmq4.jpeg

Once you get the knife in, twist slightly and the entire bezel and crystal should pop off. That will allow you a bit more flexibility to get that sucker into place.

If you still cannot manage to pop it fully into the bezel, you could press the crystal out (it should come out easily with some pressure from your thumbs) and try sanding down the edges of the crystal lightly. Any fine sandpaper will do. That will decrease the circumference just enough so that the crystal can be snapped easily into place.

The other option is the easiest, in my opinion, but requires a piece of equipment: a crystal lift (starting around $10 on eBay -- these cheap ones aren't high-quality, but they'll do the job). This is an easy-to-use tool that will squeeze the crystal ever so slightly, or just enough to get it secured inside the bezel. Once released, the crystal is properly set.

Hope that makes sense...and never apologize for questions!

mroatman - thanks again, i popped the bezel off and sanded down the crystal which worked a treat - also gave me a good opportunity to give the dial a good clean. your advice has proven invaluable :D

schnurrp - many thanks for this, it's great to see where this item is placed in history.