Sign in to follow this  
MoffiCy

Advice on first Russian watch

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months, I have developed a watch addiction. :) This forum has been immensely helpful as I've meticulously researched watches to add to my collection. Now, I'm looking into getting my first Russian watch, and am particularly interested in Strelas. For example, I think this is beautiful: CI38CYS | CIVIL 38 CYS3133 | STRELA Watch 38mm. However, I also found this Maktime, for half the price, with the same Poljot 3133 handwound chrono movement: Russian chronograph Maktime Poljot in the Russian watches online shop. The Maktime is also larger, and I'm a bit concerned with the 38 mm size of the Strela on my 8" wrist. So, my questions are:

1) Are there significant quality differences between the Strela and Maktime that justify the 2x price?

2) Are there any people out there with big wrists that are rocking the 38 mm Strelas?

3) Are there other Russian handwound chronos that are in this price range and have some similar characteristics (two sub dials, white or creme dial, arabic numerals)?

Also, I know you all love pics, so here's my current collection (pardon the blurry iPhone pics!). Thank you for your help!

20150918193540_sjqkgocgbtj.jpg

20150918193542_j3l1e4r5lth.jpg

20150918193544_egbbxa1dgf4.jpg

20150918193546_mi4bi4lphyd.jpg

20150918193547_zukkz0xcxqj.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Nice collection of watches you already have too. As for the Strela and Maktime, I can't say I like either of them! That Maktime looks particularly awful in my opinion but each to their own :D

Have a look here for a much better selection, including some way nicer Strelas: Poljot24 - Russische Qualitätsuhren | Poljot 24

Thank you! And yes, there's watches for all of us! :) Thanks for sharing that site - I have poked around in there some. From that list you linked to directly, I do like the 1954 Stella. Thanks again!

The two watches you shared both have the same movement so on a technical level they are worth about the same, but the Strelas being modeled after the original models issued to pilots and cosmonauts are more saught-after. There are many many 3133 watches out there with many different styles however.

I have the Seagull 1963 chronograph that is also 38mm, but given it's very long lugs I'd say it looks much larger than it is. The Strela lugs might be similar regarding your decision. Without trying to dissuade you, the 1963 is cheaper and similar looking to the cream Stela, but is not a Russian 3133 watch.

20150918193548_ym11m3vgk40.jpg