Sign in to follow this  
TGUIL

Well that escalated quickly...

After 6 months or so posting on here and having recently been in receipt of watches I've been chasing for a few months I find myself in the weird position of having no watches in the post and with an empty eBay watch list. So it's time for a SOTC type post and as the title suggests, things have moved quickly, although not as quickly as some on here :)

As of last year I didn't even have a current functioning watch.

The trigger was my Dad wanted a watch for his b'day. Not having worn a watch in years I thought I better do a bit of research so I posted on a general forum in their Watch section as I hadn't heard of never mind joined WUS at the time. After getting advice on their and searching some watch sites for the b'day present, I found lots I liked and kept perusing even after the gift (an Accurist) had been bought and given in November. I poked around the other forums WRUW thread and started thinking I should start wearing a watch again.

It'd been about 10 years since my last watch gave up the ghost. It was a 24hr 'Boctok' bought because I had a notion I wanted a 24hr watch sometime around the late 90's and it was the only affordable one I could find on the internet. That it was Russian was neither here nor there and I've no idea what it cost (other than being cheap'ish) but I do recall it taking a long time to wind it's way from Russia to Ireland.

So what would my new watch be? I was mulling over quite a few, but the watch that really caught my eye was a green Neptune.

20150918193753_cb2dz0mgwag.jpg

That it was also a Vostok had a nice symmetry with my last watch so I put an email alert on Meranom in the hope it might come back into stock. Early January an email alert arrived and I snapped one up. About the same time pictures of the last Chinese Mechanical Watch Forum project watch appeared on the general forum watch section and I wanted... a lot. A PM to the poster to find the source and I was introduced to WUS and had a 2nd watch on order.

20150918193756_2yfotyco35w.JPG

While f72 was my first port of call, f10 soon became home. The sheer variety of watches kept me coming back to see what wonders would have been posted for me to covet. More and more I found myself checking eBay for watches that caught my eye here. Within weeks I'd bought a Komandirskie. The way the dial changed with the light was glorious.

20150918193757_2uq1oumwgah.jpg

And then a Raketa caught my eye...

20150918193758_iigh55vtyox.JPG

And then I decided I needed a 24hr watch so another Raketa was snapped up...

20150918193759_w1thzajw000.JPG

Then I thought I better get a watch box as it appeared I had a 'collection' and my existing storage option wasn't very traditional.

20150918193801_awwtcy2ee2z.JPG

20150918193803_du3gxgporhn.jpg

And when the first box was full I got another...

20150918193804_2edef0aiicz.JPG

... and another.

20150918193805_hs4utdq1lyy.JPG

If you've stuck with me this long I guess I better show what else is in the boxes.

20150918193808_2q453icsp05.JPG

The dress watches

20150918193813_2h4orxalln3.JPG

Mostly Vostoks

20150918193818_cqjkygflht4.JPG

Chronographs etc.

And the 24hr 'Boctok'? Well that was found in my computer parts box, still dead. A sharp tap and it'd tick for a few minutes but then stop again so I sent it to Mr Ellis who breath new life into it. Really happy it's been revived because they don't seem that common given I haven't seen one on here or eBay in the last 6 months. In fact the only pic of it exactly is the matching one on the Vostok Wikipedia page.

20150918193820_2l3x00lfttn.JPG

The stream of watches has stopped for now as I have most of the ones I wanted. Still have a few to get such as Slava Big Zero, Raketa Atom, Sekonda 3017, Turquoise Kirovskie Crab and I'm sure others will catch my eye.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the fantastic information so many of you share with us 'noobs'.

I am moving toward the first watch-box stage. The dress watches include more than one Poljot de luxe, it appears. Lovely design.

I'd say, "Keep it up," but my guess is you'd do so regardless.

20150918193820_h23mnjb3jaj.gif

Very nice collection.

Thanks for sharing your story and your very nice collection. You have some desirable stuff there; love the Kirovskie crab and the Sputnik watch

20150918193821_ormil1mefvr.gif

Wouldn't mind any of the Burans either

20150918193820_h23mnjb3jaj.gif

Cheers,

Peter

They look great. A familiar story too, after deciding to get a new watch I now have 2 boxes, need 3rd and my most wanted list is very similar , minus the big zero and add a couple you have ,mainly the boctok tankist 3133 and the sputnik.

Congratulations , best order your 4th box now :).

A beautiful and eclectic Russian watch collection you have acquired there - in a very short time indeed! Many congratulations, you do indeed have some very desirable pieces there. Onwards and upwards sir - good luck!

P.S. I really like the 24h Vostok!

Nice collection. Not quite at the three month stage yet, and not quite going as fast (yet...). I am taking a similar trajectory though. Looks like you bought your box from the same place I did. Picked mine up after my second watch. Was going to get the five watch option, but though, 10 might be best. It was a sensible choice.

Let me know how it feels not having anything in the post. That'll be me in a week or so. Unless....

I'm tired of the cheap Chinese leather boxes so currently working on turning this into a watch box for 45'ish watches.

It's kind of weird and kind of liberating. I can keep an eye out for more expensive watches i'd like to add now without worrying about breaking the bank.

Thanks all for the kind words.