Sign in to follow this  
uLh2see

Any idea; What watch is mr Alexey Leonov wearing at this picture?

Omega probably paid Leonov for the privilege of being on his wrist on earth, while 1MChZ was on his wrist in orbit long before, without any need to advertise and capitalize on the spacewatch image...

+1

He bought this in Houston in preparation for the Apollo-Soyuz mission. The Speedmaster Professional was the mandated mission watch, in keeping with NASA standards, but Leonov bent the rules slightly and nobody questioned him.

If you look at photos of Soviet cosmonauts who participated in Apollo-Soyuz, you will notice that all the rest of them wore Speedy Pros and continued to use them on missions for years afterwards. This has led some to believe that the Speedy Pro actually became the standard cosmonaut watch, but I have only seen them worn by the Apollo-Soyuz crews.

So much for my theory Comrade Chascomm! Thank you for this interesting information.

However, I was not entirely wrong: Omega did capitalize on Leonov and they possibly did pay him for this promo (at least he got a free labcoat with Omega logo….):

although it happened much later than Apollo-Soyuz.

See:

OMEGA Watches: Recalling adventures in space: Lieutenant General Thomas Stafford and Air Force Major General Alexei Leonov meet at the OMEGA Pavilion

I don't know of any photos of Soviet cosmonauts (besides the Apollo-Soyuz crew) using Speedmasters, but I did remember that Hodinkee did have a few photos of cosmonauts wearing their Speedies for EVA from the past 5 years or so.

Found: Actual Pictures Actually Showing The Speedmaster Professional Actually Being Used For EVA, Today (Well, In 2014) â HODINKEE

Most of these pictures are American, from the Gemini and Apollo programs, but the last two shots are both of Russian cosmonauts on EVA outside the International Space Station in 2010 and 2014.

Have you ever noticed how often Leonov makes a point of clearly displaying his wristwatch in posed photos?

Any idea what that gold watch is? I remember him wearing a gold watch in an interview for a TV documentary from the 1990s, but I don't recall the style.